none
question - suggestion - business to business applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Statements of the obvious:

• Windows Store Apps and Windows RT applications are the same thing.
    • Microsoft has dropped advancements for Silverlight and moved to WinRT application support
    • WinRT applications make no claim to be hardware/opsys independant - will only run on WinRT

That's fine.

I have extensive investment in Silverlight applications and my customers typically:

• do not have, want nor allow access to the internet
    • do not care about platform independence
    • do not want to have to install any software on the client machines.

But WinRT applications have install restrictions and side-install is expensive, but I dont want/need to have to install software anyway.

So the question/suggestion/discussion to WinRT developers is:

• to allow WinRT applications to be executed in much the same way (similar but not the same)  as Silverlight applications do
    • use the browser to navigate to the file server
    • load the WinRT application as any "file"
    • execute the application in a sandbox/virtual machine/controlled environment
    • Not inside the browser - but not permanently installed either.

Should this be made possible, I could "easily" rewrite the Silverlight app as a WinRT app and all would be good with the world!

Any chance MS might consider this method of executing WinRT ( Windows Store ) applications?

Boyd

BDM

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• For

• to allow applications to be executed in much the same way (similar but not the same)  as Silverlight applications do
    • use the browser to navigate to the file server
    • load the application as any "file"
    • execute the application in a sandbox/virtual machine/controlled environment
    • Not inside the browser - but not permanently installed either.

Consider using WPF Application deployed through ClickOnce.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:44 PM
  • WPF Application deployed through ClickOnce is definitely a fine platform.

But:

• WPF appears to be in the same deprecation boat as Silverlight
    • And there is that "install on the client" thing.

Microsoft seems to be putting most if not all of its effort (eggs) into the WinRT ( basket ).

That being said - ClickOnce on a WinRT application to { load - execute - vanish on termination } would meet the WinRT criteria of controlling what is peramently installed on the client WinRT machine. ( ie it is not installed ).

BDM

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:28 PM
  • WPF is _absolutely not_ deprecated.  WPF is the flagship UI toolkit for Windows, and the best technology for building Windows Desktop Applications. 

ClickOnce apps do not have to be "installed" on the client:

Start the Application from the Web or a Network Share

This strategy is like the first, except the application behaves like a Web application. When the user clicks a link on a Web page (or double-clicks an icon on the file share), the application is started. When users close the application, it is no longer available on their local computer; nothing is added to the Start menu or Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Technically, the application is downloaded and installed to an application cache on the local computer, just as a Web application is downloaded to the Web cache. As with the Web cache, the files are eventually scavenged from the application cache. However, the perception of the user is that the application is being run from the Web or file share.

Choosing a ClickOnce Deployment Strategy

Modern UI Applications are not intended to replace Desktop Applications.  It still takes a Desktop Application to connect to SQL Server, interact with peripherals, run legacy code, etc.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Yep, WPF Application deployed through ClickOnce is definitely a fine platform.

But this Forum is "Windows Store Apps forums - Publishing Windows Store apps"

And I would like to explore the possibility of an end user exectuing a Windows Store App in much the same way as a current Silverlight appliction -> browse, point, click, execute, terminate, vanished;  all without installing on the client machine.  To run again, repeat the process.

I understand the business model Microsoft has to control how applications get installed on a client machine.  It is what it is.  THis post is not to defend or belittle it.

I offer this alternative to allow WinRT applications to be exectued on client machines without going through the store or side-install.  I believe it is consistent with Microsoft's business model: "You want it permanently installed?  You will have to go through the store or pay for side-install."

Anyone from WinRT camp care to comment?

BDM

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:19 PM