none
Problem Upgrading from VS2008 Trial Version to licensed version RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I had installed a trial version of VS2008 a few months ago, and it expired.  So I purchased a full blown Professional Edition.  Went into Control Panel, and removed the pretty much everything that said Visual Studio 2008 on it (although one reported that it couldn't uninstall itself - Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU).  Came across some postings on removing VS2008 manually that also recommended removing some registry entries, and deleting the c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 9 folder. 

I have done all of these things, without success.  When I launch Visual Studio, I always end up with the same helpful info box - The evaluation period for Visual Studio Trial Edition has ended.  Click Upgrade to find out how you can continue to use Visual Studio by purchasing a full edition.  Incidentally, the header of this info box says "Visual Studio Team System 2008".

Any help solving this will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

- Chris
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for your post.

Visual Studio Professional Edition is included in Visual Studio Team System Edition.

Based on your description, it seems that VSTS 2008 Trial Edition is not completely removed from your machine. So when the shortcut is opened, VSTS 2008 Trial is launched.

I would suggest you to try following points to remove all VS2008 products and start from scratch:

Run AutoUninstall Tool: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb968856.aspx
      It uninstalls ALL components installed with Visual Studio 2008 products, including Visual Studio Express Editions, Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio Professional. This tool won't uninstall shared components between Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2005.

or

Use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to clear it.
      With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems.
    For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Then install Visual Studio 2008 Pro Edition.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:41 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:38 AM