Programs start in "suspended" state

Question

• Just about any program I try to open up shows as "suspended" in the task manager and I'm unable to see any kind of window open in relation to the program. Is there a way to force the program to move out of the "suspended" state so it will function as intended?

• Edited by Shazybot Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:41 AM Title change...
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• So the applications are not functioning?
    If you open taskmanager, it suspends the other applications, maybe that's why you Always see them suspended?

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:39 AM
  • So the applications are not functioning?
    If you open taskmanager, it suspends the other applications, maybe that's why you Always see them suspended?

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

I've tried opening applications even with the Task Manager un-open so I don't think it's the issue you described.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Update: Each program that says "suspended" appears to have an empty wait chain. So what could be the problem?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Bump. Really wish I could get this solved. Let me know any information you guys may need to know to help solve it.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Launch them outside of Metro UI.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Do you mean by going to the desktop or disabling metro altogether? I've been trying to launch the applications from the desktop since the beginning!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:40 PM
  • If you disable Metro UI with RPenabled, you disable windows8 completely so this wouldn't be a good solution.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Hi Shazybot,

Could you provide more information as to the issue you're encountering? 

1) Is this a Metro style app you are launching or a Desktop app?

2) When you see it suspended in Task Manager, are you on the Desktop viewing the apps as suspended or in a Metro app or the start menu?

All Metro style apps should suspend when the app looses foreground (switch to another application or the desktop).

Thanks,

David Perry - MSFT

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hello,

I have exactly the same issue. The apps I try to open are desktop apps. When I see them suspended in the Task Manager I am in the desktop mode. Those "auto-suspended" apps are listed under the "Background processes" section although they have UI (for example Firefox).

Edit: I forgot to say that only third-party apps have this bug. IE10, Windows Explorer, Control Panel... these work fine.

Thanks,

Silviu Bogan

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:42 PM
  • You may want to "Kill the process" while in the Task Manager and then just re-launch the same app.

Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Could it be that you could disable suspending much like you can do disable automatic app dehydration on Windows Phone? Just for testing purposes only.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:47 AM
  • @chipvlad

For me, it still starts as suspended even if I kill it in the Task Manager and then I re-launch it.

Edit: after a computer restart, it seems that all apps work again normally.

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:59 AM
  • What if you kill the host process, the WWA Host container that works as app sandbox?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:33 PM