VS2012 Win8 XAML Designer Error after installing Microsoft Advertising SDK RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

When I installed Microsoft's Advertising SDK for Windows 8 RTM, my designer on VS2012 just fails to load every single XAML page. Didn't know what happen but the designer thrown an exception:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException
    Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.WaitForCompletion(NestedCallContext nestedCallContext, BlockingCall call, WaitHandle timeoutSignal)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.MarshalOutSynchronous(Action action, Int32 targetApartmentId, WaitHandle aborted, WaitHandle timeoutSignal)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.MarshalOut(Action action, Int32 targetApartmentId, WaitHandle aborted, CallSynchronizationMode syncMode, WaitHandle timeoutSignal)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.MarshalOut[TValue](RemoteHandle`1 targetObject, Action action, CallSynchronizationMode syncMode)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.MarshalOut[TResult,TValue](RemoteHandle`1 targetObject, Func`2 func, CallSynchronizationMode syncMode)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalDesignerService.CreateDesignerImpl(IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, RemoteCancellationToken remoteCancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass12.<Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IDesignerService.CreateDesigner>b__11(RemoteCancellationToken remoteToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalDesignerService.CallWithCancellation[TResult](CancellationToken cancelToken, Func`2 func)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalDesignerService.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IDesignerService.CreateDesigner(IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)

System.UnauthorizedAccessException
    Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

The program still runs and the ads are showing up correctly (the test ads). The only problem now is I've lost the designer's preview view and the XAML's intellisense. Am I the only one out there who is having this problem?

Thanks!

Best regards,

VT

Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Which version of Visual Studio are you using? Is it VS 2012 RTM?

If so, could you please get in touch directly at unnir at Microsoft dot com and I can try to help out?

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:28 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  Have you been able to resolve it?
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Same issue here.  VS 2012 RTM immediately after adding a reference to 'Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows 8' the XAML designer crashes.  This behaviour remains across restarts of VS2012.  Removing the reference and reloading the designer fixes the issue.

Shane Michelon

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:57 AM
  • I had the same issue, just found a fix:

From an admin command prompt run:
    "C:\Windows\system32\icacls.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\ExtensionSDKs" /grant "*S-1-15-2-1":(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) /grant "*S-1-15-2-1":(RX)

Credit to the stackoverflow posting at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12443845/microsoft-advertising-sdk-for-windows-8-rtm-causes-access-denied-error

Hope this helps!

Saturday, October 6, 2012 11:46 PM
  • Thanks very much mindcandy.  That fixed the issue!

Shane Michelon

Sunday, October 7, 2012 4:22 AM
  • Awesome!! Ok, now does anyone know the magical command for the LiveSDK?  It does the same thing.  Thanks!

Perry Schnacker

Sunday, October 7, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Hi

Its not working on my command prompt 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\ExtensionSDKs Access is Denied 

Please help me....

Ravindra

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:31 AM
  • After installing VS2012 Update 1 I do not need that command anymore on my new machine.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:44 AM