Question

• Thanks for reading!

Environment Information

• Visual Studio 2015 Professional
        • Seasoned Developer (since 1981)
        • Using VB.NET
        • Occurs with every project
        • Have reset the Toolbox
      • *Use CCleaner (mentioned out of suspicion)
    • I can’t recall exactly when this occurred or what changed

Hello all.  Particularly, these icons are missing when viewing the tools in Category View (the tools work fine):

Common Controls

1. Button
    2. CheckBox
    3. CheckedListBox
    4. ComboBox
    5. DateTimePicker
    6. PictureBox

Menus and ToolBars

1. ToolStrip
    2. ToolStripContainer

Data

• Chart

Printing

• PrintDocument

Note that when I view the toolbox controls via “All Controls”, only the following tool icons are missing, and again, all the tools work fine:

1. TextBox
    2. HScrollBar
    3. ImageList

I first thought that maybe this was due to the icons being stripped from their respective libraries but then the above conflict seems to dictate otherwise, unless the controls are loaded from different libraries per different view mode.  Still lost; any suggestions, greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas to all!

Glenn

Glenn T. Kitchen VB.NET Forums

Thursday, December 22, 2016 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Glenn,

You can try this:

After saving your current VS settings, do a reset of VS settings. This might bring them back. If not, just load your saved settings again.

• On the Tools menu, click Import and Export Settings.
    • On the Welcome to the Import and Export Settings Wizard page, click Reset all settings and then click Next.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

André Melancia | Developer / DBA / Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) | Andy.PT

• Marked as answer by αβθ-Coder Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:00 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hello Glenn,

You can try this:

After saving your current VS settings, do a reset of VS settings. This might bring them back. If not, just load your saved settings again.

• On the Tools menu, click Import and Export Settings.
    • On the Welcome to the Import and Export Settings Wizard page, click Reset all settings and then click Next.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

André Melancia | Developer / DBA / Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) | Andy.PT

• Marked as answer by αβθ-Coder Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:00 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

It seems you have installed "gtk components".
    Are there any possibilities that "gtk components" has some causes?
    What will happen if you would uninstall "gtk components"? 

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Friday, December 23, 2016 12:54 AM
  • Hi Glenn,

When did this issue happen? If the icons were missing just after the installation of Visual Studio, it’s probably related to the installation, and you could try to repair it, refer to the following steps:

Start-> control panel -> programs and features -> Microsoft Visual Studio -> choose change -> in the setup wizard choose repair

If this issue never happened before, and the icons were missing recently, you could refer to the replies above, that might be helpful to fix it.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 23, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Thanks sincerely for the solution André Melancia!  And, I first saved my settings manually not knowing I'd be prompted to durring a total reset, and in saving my settings via the total reset, a couple occurred:

Your settings were reset, but there were some errors.

Error 1:  Failed to export settings for '#2015' [code 7371]
    Error 2:  Failed to export settings for '#2001' [code 7371]

I'm guessing these failures were due to the problematic components above, possibly the "GTK Components" Ashidacchi noticed, though those are mine, I'll be checking into the prospect they're problematic.

With Sincere Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn T. Kitchen VB.NET Forums

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:22 PM