Migration to Tabular, how to recycle an existing excel sheet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've migrated a PowerPivot excel to a tabular data model using the migration wizard in SSDT. I would like to reuse the existing pivot tables and power view dashboards, i.e. changing the data connections to the tabular model instead of the internal power pivot data model. What is the easiest way to achieve this?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:26 AM

Answers

• I ususally do this manually by editing the connection string to the PowerPivot workbook found in Excel data connections. In my experience so far, it has worked flawlessly.

Here is the link that inspired me but instead of using the automated code, I just change the string manually:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Migrate-PowerPivot-pivot-72560981#content

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Rudi,

Just to specify the suggestion of Mike for the manual way, here a step-by-step with screenshot for MS Excel 2010:

- Go to ribbon "Data"
    - Click on "Connections"
    - Select "PowerPivot Data" and click on "Properties"
    - Under tab "Definition" you can modify the connection string to point to your SSAS server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• I ususally do this manually by editing the connection string to the PowerPivot workbook found in Excel data connections. In my experience so far, it has worked flawlessly.

Here is the link that inspired me but instead of using the automated code, I just change the string manually:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Migrate-PowerPivot-pivot-72560981#content

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Rudi,

Just to specify the suggestion of Mike for the manual way, here a step-by-step with screenshot for MS Excel 2010:

- Go to ribbon "Data"
    - Click on "Connections"
    - Select "PowerPivot Data" and click on "Properties"
    - Under tab "Definition" you can modify the connection string to point to your SSAS server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:34 PM