How to set up tiMeout value? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i have to load test an application that generates a PDF file, but this process takes soMe tiMe to finish, when i do the web test it runs sucessfully but when i run the load test i get a lot of tiMe out errors, is there a way to configure this "tiMeout" tiMe?, so i can give More tolerance to the test?

Thank you

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:20 PM

Answers

• Q1. First, there is not a timeout property you can set for a load test. However, you can abort a load test in a load test plug-in, and this may not be appropriate in your case.

Q2. In your case, you can create 2 web tests, one for each web server. Then create 2 scenarios in your load test, one for the web test hitting the real server, the other for web test hitting the personal computer. You can adjust the user load for different scenarios. In the load test analyzer, check the Requests table, look under the Response Time column for the stat data.

Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:14 PM

All replies

• You cannot set timeout on a load test.

What is the user load for the test? To choose an approciated load/ connection model, please read http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404664(VS.80).aspx.

When you run the load test, is the web server overloaded? Check the %Processor time, CPU and Memory usage on your server. Check the connection limit, bandwidth... for your web server. In the web test generated by VSTS, there is  a timeout property for each request. If the load test engine did not get response within the timeout window, the request will be marked as failed. Some troubleshooting info can be found in http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404661(VS.80).aspx#ExpectedLoad.

Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Not even with a Test Plugin?, i was searching on The Net and i found soMething about "Visual Studio 2005 Team Test Load Agent", and soMething about a tiMe about, but i think it only works on the Agent start test tiMeout right?. There is no soMe property, object, class or soMething where the tiMeout setting is extracted froM?

The user load is 50 users... iM just running the test for 10 Minutes. so is not a big deal, the probleM is that i have two enviroMents, one is with the real servers so, i have a good response froM it even until heavy load, but the second enviroMent is just a rusty personal coMputer, so when i put load on it the "server" takes More than a Minute to finish the PDF creation, iM supposed to coMpare this two enviroMents, but i cant because of the tiMeout, i tried running the load test with the 50 Vusers and i opened a browser window, accesed to the Web site and i did succefully generated the PDF, but it took 3 Minutes giving Me the response, now thats what i need, know the average response tiMe of the rusty enviroMent... If i cant set the tiMeout period ... there Mus be a way of doing this... right?

Thanks

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Q1. First, there is not a timeout property you can set for a load test. However, you can abort a load test in a load test plug-in, and this may not be appropriate in your case.

Q2. In your case, you can create 2 web tests, one for each web server. Then create 2 scenarios in your load test, one for the web test hitting the real server, the other for web test hitting the personal computer. You can adjust the user load for different scenarios. In the load test analyzer, check the Requests table, look under the Response Time column for the stat data.

Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Q1: so sad...

Q2: Well anyhow for the personal computer enviromet one single request takes more tan a minute to complete, so even with "light" load the timeout errors are being generated
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:24 PM