Searching For a way to understand how db applications work RRS feed

• Question

• hi ,

is there any way to understand "Business" and how database applications work ?

for example , " Point Of Sale " systems , in some systems( may be all POS systems) , It enables user to create an Invoice as a draft , then change it to "Temporary Invoice" then to " Permanent" which a phase prevent updating the Invoice .

- is there any Resource demonstrates why Invoices should be permanent and does not allow updating in some phase.

- i am not talking about just that example , but i am talking about such those situations .

- any book , video or else would be helpful .

thank you so much .

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:42 AM

Answers

• What you are referring too is a application design and business rules, which has nothing to do with the database.  You would have to ask the people who designed and wrote the application why they did it that way.

Normally in an accounting program, once the Invoice has been printed and sent, it cannot be directly modified.  You have to "cancel" or delete the invoice and create a new one.  Otherwise, what you sent the customer is not what is in the computer.

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Tom, I think when we design the application we need  take into consideration the database as well. I had a client who designed the main search screen application to retrieve 1 million of records and every one was waiting when query is completed  :-(

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:15 PM

All replies

• Generally people should create a good documentation about the db design and business specifically for your business

Monday, August 22, 2016 10:50 AM
  • Generally speaking. Well, when you manage databases with +7000 tables, believe me nobody wants to know the business rules behind that overall. I am talking about obviously ERPs
    Monday, August 22, 2016 10:54 AM
  • What you are referring too is a application design and business rules, which has nothing to do with the database.  You would have to ask the people who designed and wrote the application why they did it that way.

Normally in an accounting program, once the Invoice has been printed and sent, it cannot be directly modified.  You have to "cancel" or delete the invoice and create a new one.  Otherwise, what you sent the customer is not what is in the computer.

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Tom, I think when we design the application we need  take into consideration the database as well. I had a client who designed the main search screen application to retrieve 1 million of records and every one was waiting when query is completed  :-(

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:15 PM
  • Yes I am talking about " Business Rules " , I believe there are " Static " Business Rules in many applications like the rule i mentioned and you referred to, of course nobody wants to send a customer a different invoice than the one he has . 

- i knew that the rule exists , but did not know the reason .

- is there a resource from which i am able to know those static Rules and the reasons behind them ?

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:51 PM