none
Could not load file or assembly 'INuiInstanceHelper.dll' RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having trouble running the NUI samples.  The SkeletalViewer sample runs at first and then the following error is thrown:

"Could not load file or assembly 'INuiInstanceHelper.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found."

I had VS2010 installed prior to installing the Kineck for Windows SDK Beta.  I'm running the C# project for this sample.  When I try to run the other NUI sample (ShapeGame) I get a new error as follows:

"'The invocation of the constructor on type 'ShapeGame.MainWindow' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception.' Line number '3' and line position '9'."

Is anyone else experiencing these errors?  If so have you found a fix?

Any help or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, June 17, 2011 1:51 AM

Answers

• Hi, both problems are caused by the same underlying issue. If, in the ShapeGame, you move construction of Runtime nui into Window_Loaded function, you'll likely see the same error as in SkeletalViewer sample.

The error with INuiInstanceHelper is typically caused by having VisualStudio open during kinect SDK installation. So, first try closing all instances of Visual Studio and reopening desired solution.

When that doesn't work, rebooting machine has solved the problem for people.

FYI, this problem is related to installation of INuiInstanceHelper.dll in the .NET Global Assembly Cache (GAC), so if things don't work even after reboot try listing contents of GAC (using gacutil /l INuiInstanceHelper) and let me know what you see.

Hope this helps,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    • Marked as answer by Ronkonkoman Friday, June 17, 2011 10:04 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is usually attributed to an outdated version of the DirectX library. Can you please try and update the runtimes for Direct X (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en) and try again?

Thanks,
    Lewis

Follow Me on Twitter: @LewisBenge Or check out my blog: http://www.geekswithblogs.com/pointtoshare/
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi, both problems are caused by the same underlying issue. If, in the ShapeGame, you move construction of Runtime nui into Window_Loaded function, you'll likely see the same error as in SkeletalViewer sample.

The error with INuiInstanceHelper is typically caused by having VisualStudio open during kinect SDK installation. So, first try closing all instances of Visual Studio and reopening desired solution.

When that doesn't work, rebooting machine has solved the problem for people.

FYI, this problem is related to installation of INuiInstanceHelper.dll in the .NET Global Assembly Cache (GAC), so if things don't work even after reboot try listing contents of GAC (using gacutil /l INuiInstanceHelper) and let me know what you see.

Hope this helps,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    • Marked as answer by Ronkonkoman Friday, June 17, 2011 10:04 PM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Hi Eddy,

I'm experiencing the same problem. All of the samples except ones requiring skeletal functions are working and I get the same error on running as above for the sketeal and shape demos.

When I installed the SDK I didn't have Visual Studio running.

I've tried opening and closing the solution and rebooting the computer.

The dll appears to be in my gac...copy of the command you mention below. Any suggestions welcome.

C:\Windows\system32>gacutil /l INuiInstanceHelper
    Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 4.0.30319.1
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

The Global Assembly Cache contains the following assemblies:
      INuiInstanceHelper, Version=1.0.0.10, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856
    ad364e35, processorArchitecture=x86

Number of items = 1

Live Services MVP - www.soulsolutions.com.au
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Hi All..

After trying many reboots and restarts of visual studio i got it working.

1. I uninstalled the INuiInstanceHelper from the GAC using gacutil /u

2. then rebooted (to make sure)

3. reinstalled to gac with gacutil /i

...and now I can run the skeletal tracking samples.

Live Services MVP - www.soulsolutions.com.au
    • Proposed as answer by BronwenZMVP Friday, June 17, 2011 4:12 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:12 AM
  • I can confirm the steps described by BronwenZ.

Cheers,

Michael

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Thanks everyone for the helpful responses.  For my particular situation, rebooting my machine managed to fix it.  I should have naturally thought to do this before asking my question but am glad that this question helped others with the same issue just different causes.

To better explain the series of events before experiencing this issue I have provided a list below (I mostly followed the Programming Guide word document):

1. Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4.0 were already installed
    2. Installed the Runtime, SDK and Language Pack needed for the Speech sample
    3. Downloaded and installed the Kinect for Windows SDK Beta
    4. Attempted to run the NUI samples as mentioned in the original post
    5. Exception was thrown

Hope this helps.

Update: not sure if it makes a difference but I installed the x64 version of the SDK (I'm running Windows 7 x64)
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:09 PM
  • I'm encountering this issue inconsistently. Reboots, updates, re-installs, and GAC changes have not fixed my issue. I see this error in one project, but when I construct the Runtime in a new, clean project I don't encounter the exception at all and the Runtime works fine. It looks as though this issue can be dependent on something project-specific. I can have these two solutions open in two different instances of Visual Studio at the same time - one works, one does not. Thoughts?
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hods,

could you describe the exact symptoms of the problem that you see? When things don't work, you can compile code with no problems, but then when you run your application, it fails? If so, what is all the debug output you see, what is the callstack of the exceptions you get, if any?

Thanks!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem as you have and I solved it by forcing compilation target to x86 (by default it was on any cpu) ; I have compared the compilation options with SkeletalViewer project.

And also the Kinect Dll was installed in Program Files (x86).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Richard.

Société Selten ; http://www.selten.fr
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Restart computer after installer..... stop

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:08 PM
  • I had the same problem as you have and I solved it by forcing compilation target to x86 (by default it was on any cpu) ; I have compared the compilation options with SkeletalViewer project.

And also the Kinect Dll was installed in Program Files (x86).

Solved it by forcing compilation target to x86 -> This worked for me too (Windows 7, VS 2010)
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Hi,Eddy.

I really need you help. I have the same problem as above.

i have do as what you say.

(1)gacutil/ u  INuiInstanceHelper

(2)reboot

(3)gacutil/i  INuiInstanceHelper.dll

and then it showed that the assembly was successfully added to cache.

but when run my project, the error "could not load file or assembly 'INuiInstanceHelper.dll" also happened.

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:01 AM