none
Send Port to internally hosted IIS web service needs to run on the SAME IIS SERVER from multiple orchestrations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a multi-server BizTalk environment. We have an Orchestration with multiple call orchestrations in it. Each called orchestration is calling a web service through a 2 way Send Port (which is hosted in IIS on each BizTalk server in our multi server environment). We have to ensure that each called orchestration is calling these web services on the same IIS server.

I could create a dedicated host instance that the Send Port runs under to run only on one server but then this means that all our DBase traffic is happening on one server. We also thought about using the load balancer some how to achieve this through sticky sessions etc.

This is all necessary because we are using Entity Framework exposed through web services and we need to manage transactions.

Any ideas on how we may achieve this. I have inserted a picture to try and show the scenario

Biztalk Developer

Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:42 AM

All replies

• Haha, Entity Framework strikes again!  But seriously, that is a rather odd architectural requirement, double check first. But anyway...

Try this: Configure the Send Port URI to point to something like http://localservicehost/[yourEFService]

Then in the local hosts file (the DNS/IP hosts file), define localservicehost to the local IP address where the service is listening.

That way, the connection will always be made to the local machine.  Essentially the same as localhost.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:40 AM
  • But the fact that the send port is configured under a Send Handler Host that may actually be picked up by any one of my BT servers (ie the WCF-BasicHttp Adapter is configured in the Send Direction on the BizTalkApplicationServerAppliction Host which has a host instance running on my 2 BT servers) means that the Send port could run on any Server right?

At least that's my understanding....

Biztalk Developer

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:37 AM
  • Sorry, looks like this got swept off the page...

Yes, if the Handler Host has on instance on both servers, it can run on both, but localhost will always point to the local machine so the local instance of IIS will always be hit.

Friday, July 25, 2014 2:09 PM