none
Cant RDP to VM in Azure after Test Failover RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured ASR for Hyper-V machines without VMM.

I have done a test failover but cannot connect to the machine in Azure.

The agent has a status of "Not ready" and the version is unknown which i believe is the cause or possibly network related.

Port 3389 is allowed on the NSG and the port is open on the windows firewall on all profiles. I can RDP to the VM on prem before the failover.

The boot diagnostics screenshot is on the login screen, but the network connection icon has a red cross.

Server set to DHCP on prem and azure vnet. It is a domain machine but i want ot test login locally after failover.

Has anyone got any ideas on why i cant connect?

Thanks

Shane

Thursday, October 3, 2019 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thanks for the response.

I had already tried most of the things above.

I logged the call with Microsoft in the end and this was related to a driver in the original Hype-v VM. They provided a fix to this whihc i have added below depending on the driver you are using.

Quick link to resolving the driver update

1. Now base on the driver version, we see which KB needs to be download:
      1. For version 10.0.14393.594 then
        1. The KB4073562 was released to fix this issue so you could install this one or a newer.
        2. Download either Download KB4073562 or a newer KB on the machine. If you prefer install the latest KB on that driver check Query for KB or a driver history
      2. For version 10.0.15063.0 then
        1. This version has a bug so this binary needs to be updated with a newer version. To know the latest KB on that driver check Query for KB or a driver history
    2. Attach your OS disk as a data disk on a rescue VM where you can download the KB locally
    3. Once the disk is attached, install the KB on that OS disk
    4.      dism /image:<OS Disk letter>:\ /add-package /packagepath:c:\temp\<<KB .msu or .cab>>
    1. Unmount the hives
    2. Detach the disk and reassemble the original VM

Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hope you performed the test failover on a segregated vNet.

Looks like your VM didn't get IP address post test failover to Azure. This can happen due to various reasons. You can try the following things to troubleshoot.

1. Make sure your Azure vNet can reach outbound Internet or AzureCloud and inbound from AzureCloud or at least 168.63.129.16. Refer - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/what-is-ip-address-168-63-129-16. If no, fix this, clean up test failover resources and try another test failover.

2. Go to the VM property and click 'redeploy'. 

3. Go to the NIC of the VM and change the IP address (this will reboot the VM and assign a new virtual adapter to the VM). 

4. Check your on-prem VM if there is any persistent route configured which might have caused issue on Azure vNet.

5. Verify what are the application services running on the VM, sometimes they interfere the NIC configuration process during start up. Disable all your application services before test failover and try again. 

Thanks,

Rohan Islam | Azure Architect

• Proposed as answer by Rohan Islam Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shane W Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:29 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:11 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the response.

I had already tried most of the things above.

I logged the call with Microsoft in the end and this was related to a driver in the original Hype-v VM. They provided a fix to this whihc i have added below depending on the driver you are using.

Quick link to resolving the driver update

1. Now base on the driver version, we see which KB needs to be download:
      1. For version 10.0.14393.594 then
        1. The KB4073562 was released to fix this issue so you could install this one or a newer.
        2. Download either Download KB4073562 or a newer KB on the machine. If you prefer install the latest KB on that driver check Query for KB or a driver history
      2. For version 10.0.15063.0 then
        1. This version has a bug so this binary needs to be updated with a newer version. To know the latest KB on that driver check Query for KB or a driver history
    2. Attach your OS disk as a data disk on a rescue VM where you can download the KB locally
    3. Once the disk is attached, install the KB on that OS disk
    4.      dism /image:<OS Disk letter>:\ /add-package /packagepath:c:\temp\<<KB .msu or .cab>>
    1. Unmount the hives
    2. Detach the disk and reassemble the original VM

Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:35 PM