Embedding language resouce files into a GAC assembly RRS feed

• Question

• User-1989366441 posted

Hi,

I am trying to develop a class project containing some localized strings which then would be installed into GAC. The problem is that when I build the assembly it creates separate DLLs for each language (except English which seems to get embedded in the main project dll) which makes it impossible to install it via gacutil (or simply i don't know how to go about it). I've been already looking for a solution for this problem, but couldn't find any.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance [:)]

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:30 AM

Answers

• User401360897 posted

First you say,

This is not installing in GAC. Now u are saying

However we were looking to have just one DLL to deploy

for one DLL you can use aspnet_merge 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:33 PM

All replies

• User401360897 posted

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479044.aspx

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:49 AM
  • User-1989366441 posted

Hi there,

This is actually someting i've already tried. The thing is that the aspnet_merge command allows me only to merge the assemblies that are precompiled with aspnet_compiler which doesn't seem to work for my class project (this is compiled by csc as far as i know). What i am really trying to achieve here is to have either a class project or composite control that i could then install into GAC with all required Resource localization files (have about 5 of them but we expect to have more in the near future). This way i can share it across different websites without a lot of maintance when there's a change to be done in the assembly or when there's a new language coming in. This is actually my idea how this could be done, but if anyone of you knows a better way to do this please do let me know. I am really open to any suggestions except the ones involving adding a virtual path to each application to share the assembly or to copy the resource files to every project we have (this will involve too much work when there's a new language coming in).

Thanks

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:16 PM
  • User401360897 posted

which makes it impossible to install it via gacutil (or simply i don't know how to go about it).

Is you Singed your Assemblies.

http://www.vkinfotek.com/assemblyhowto.html

Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:17 AM
  • User-1989366441 posted

The assembly has a strong name and it does work when i install it into GAC. The only thing that is not working are the localization resources files which don't seem to be installed. I believe the problem is that when i build the assembly it creates multiple DLLs like this:

• ClassLibrary1.dll
    • DE/ClassLibrary1.resources.dll
    • FR/ClassLibrary1.resources.dll
    • SP/ClassLibrary1.resources.dll

And when i install the classlibrary1.dll file into GAC the translations will not be included. I did try to install the other dlls as well but this doesn't seem to work for me.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks

Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:30 AM
  • User-1989366441 posted

I managed to get this to work somehow. As previously mentioned I installed all the DLLs via gacutil, but i forgot to restart the ASP.NET Development server which didn't pick up the new assemblies automatically. Nevertheless i would still want to have all the DLLs merged so that i install just one DLL into GAC instead of multiple ones. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:57 AM
  • User401360897 posted

Just Drag and Drop These DLL into Windows/assembly.

The Only Reason they are not added is they are not signed. 

Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:18 AM
  • User-1989366441 posted

Hi again,

As already mentioned above, got this to work with multiple resources files. However we were looking to have just one DLL to deploy since it's not easy to DRAG AND DROP files in a webfarm.

Any other ideas?

Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:27 PM
  • User401360897 posted

First you say,

This is not installing in GAC. Now u are saying

However we were looking to have just one DLL to deploy

for one DLL you can use aspnet_merge 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:33 PM