Accessing some sections in the Registry no longer possible?

Question

• I have a code-signed(!!) application, which is running under the Administrator account. I cannot access 'some' sections under Windows 8 anymore, like: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\NET Framework Setup\\NDP

WHY??? My Application is working fine under Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, BUT NOT on Windows 8 (security exception is thrown). How do I read a Registry Value in the section described above??

Thank you in advance!

Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Think his might be because it's a developer preview - we have restricted access.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Hi do you try to run the application with administrator rights?, in the most of the cases the application simply didn`t have the enough rights to make the changes, you can change the values manually?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:55 AM
  • "...which is running under the Administrator account"

Have you read my posting??

Try it yourself - access the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\NET Framework Setup\\NDP and you'll receive this error!

The interesting part in this 'issue' is that it seems to work in NATIVE code, but not in .NET managed code! I need a solution...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Have you tried adding your user to the Permissions on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\NET Framework Setup\\NDP key?
    Do you get an Access Denied error or some other error message?

Please let us know.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:30 PM