none
upgrading wince 6.0 eboot and kernel from application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using IMX51 (wince 6.0). I have nandflash. I am trying to do below things from Wince application.

1. upgrading eboot
    2. upgrading Kernel

I compiled application with nand_ocq_$(_COMMONSOCDIR).lib,andfmd_boot_lib.lib,nand_to2_mx51_fsl_v2_pdk1_7.lib etc...
    When I tried to access FMD_ReadSector etc...I am getting data abort exceptions...

Is this right approach or any ideas? Is there any specific approach suggested by Microsoft?

kiran reddy
    Friday, September 9, 2011 12:07 PM

All replies

• Microsoft doesn't really have a suggested approach.

You cannot write to flash from an application in CE 6.0 and later, you need a kernel mode driver.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Friday, September 9, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Writing kernel mode driver and expose ioctl to application solves this problem?

As per my knowledge file system driver is having access to FMD driver. No other guy can acess FMD driver.

I have to write something like file system driver?

To make user work easier I am trying to give upgrade option of eboot and kernel from application.

Regards,

kiran reddy
    Friday, September 9, 2011 12:39 PM
  • There is already a FS driver, RAWFS, just for the purpose.
    Maybe this thread could help http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winembnatapp/thread/746aa565-2291-41bf-bbad-ed710e337ee0
    Friday, September 9, 2011 1:17 PM
  • This can be done, what we did was copy the nand.c and other necessary files and just build a class out of it. The tricky part is translating the virtual address to the physical address in user context, and stopping the driver to avoid overlap.

Though it got worse because we appeared to have ecc errors because the flash tool may have calculated it differently, the ubl that TI provides for our board can't read it if its written from windows and not their utility.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:33 AM