none
VSTO support in Visual studio 2013 community edition RRS feed

Answers

• I would try reinstalling the VSTO tools from here and see if that helps.  I have not had any problems selecting the template. 

The only issue I have had is since I only have Office 2007 on this dev machine to debug the addin you have to go to Project properties and under Debug set the Start external program to the excel.exe file. Otherwise it will not debug since the project targets the 15.0 PIA's.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hello,

Take a look at the VSTO Express won't open my project? forum thread which has the following text:

But based on the following information:

Q: How does Visual Studio Community 2013 compare to other Visual Studio editions? 
    A: Visual Studio Community 2013 includes all the great functionality of Visual Studio Professional 2013, designed and optimized for individual developers, students, open source contributors, and small teams.

It should support creating add-ins.

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Take a look at the VSTO Express won't open my project? forum thread which has the following text:

But based on the following information:

Q: How does Visual Studio Community 2013 compare to other Visual Studio editions? 
    A: Visual Studio Community 2013 includes all the great functionality of Visual Studio Professional 2013, designed and optimized for individual developers, students, open source contributors, and small teams.

It should support creating add-ins.

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:00 AM
  • I just installed VS 2013 CE and installed the VSTO MSIs and language packs but I can't see the templates in the "New Project" menu. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Edit:

I made it! Here is what I did:

1.) Installed VS 2013 CE with the Setup

2.) Manually installed the packages from the(from the mounted ISO), some fail because of the architecture, choose the right ones

• \packages\VSTO
    • \packages\VSTODT_x86
    • \packages\VSTODT_x64
    • \packages\VSTODTLP_x86
    • \packages\VSTODTLP_x64

3.) Start VS 2013 CE as Administrator

4.) Profit, see here: http://i.imgur.com/IpMMsci.png

Edit2:

Today I tried the same as stated above and I was not able to chose Office AddIn as an project type. I have no clue why it worked yesterday and doesn't today

I have wasted a whole day today but I can't even get the machine where it worked yesterday to get me there. Strange

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:04 AM
  • Are you targeting the .Net 4 or 4.5 frameworks? Those are the only ones supported by VS2013 and VSTO.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Yes I tried both. 4.5 or 4 is selected by default.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:57 PM
  • I would try reinstalling the VSTO tools from here and see if that helps.  I have not had any problems selecting the template. 

The only issue I have had is since I only have Office 2007 on this dev machine to debug the addin you have to go to Project properties and under Debug set the Start external program to the excel.exe file. Otherwise it will not debug since the project targets the 15.0 PIA's.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:06 PM
  • SteveHard has the answer. Works like a charm
    Friday, November 28, 2014 9:31 AM