none
SSL certificate for stand-alone SQL Server host

Question

• My organization would like to use SSL to encrypt data between a SQL 2016 service on the Internet and Windows clients. The SQL Server is hosted on a server in the cloud that is not part of a domain.  Therefore is it only identified by an IP address to external clients and internally by a short name. From what I understand that there are new requirements that the Common Name (CN) on the certificate must be equal to the fully qualified domain name of the server that the client connects to. e.g. db.yourcompany.com. 

Is there anyway that we could use an SSL Certificate for a server that is only identified by a short name?  Or do we have to add the host server to a domain (or setup a separate domain controller)?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:37 PM

Answers

• I believe I found a solution to my problem. I just have to update the DNS suffix of my server to include my organization's domain name and SQL Server accepted the certificate.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/9b29f5e8-67fc-40d1-9bde-1521cbdfe07e/sql-server-2008-ssl-certificate-list-blank?forum=sqlgetstarted

• Marked as answer by Peter Carrasco Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:15 PM