Why WCF Data Service is in Add new item in VS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently seen, the WCF Data service example. After going thorough it, i have seen that, "WCF Data Service" is appearing only in "Add New Item" and not in "Add New Project".

As far my understanding, it is also a WCF service with the restrictions that, it (WCF Data Service) is directly communicating to the Data model(EDMX).

So, it is also a standalone service application, which can be hosted in some web server, where it can be a living being.

So, If it is shown in "Add New Project", we can add it, and then, we can add the necessary data model file, and do what ever we want! (Which we are actually doing , but by adding edmx and data service under add new item).

May i kindly know, is there any specific reason, to align it under the add new item instead of add new project.

Thanks in advance.

NANDAKUMAR.T

Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:39 AM

Answers

• Hello NANDAKUMAR,

>>May i kindly know, is there any specific reason, to align it under the add new item instead of add new project.

The best place for this issue is here I think: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio, if you want it to be a project, you could submit an idea, if you have questions about this kind design, you could post a question.

Anyway, here is the link I found for the definition of Project and Item: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b142f8e7.aspx, it says Project items can be files, references to libraries, data connections, and folders that are in the project, and if you check the generated WCF Data Service item, it is consist of a .svc file and a .cs file.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:55 AM