none
Self hosted anonymous WCF service issue in Windows XP RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear all,

    I have an anonymous self hosted wcf basicHttp service.

    When I try to call the service (async) the client returns a CommunicationException on the end call (way to quickly, normally the service should run for a couple of seconds). The service is never called (breakpoint not hit in service method).

    When I enable wcf service trace I get the message XmlException: The body of the message cannot be read because it is empty.

    So I figured the service is configured incorrectly, however the funny part is:

    This service actually does work, on Windows Server 2003/2008, Windows Vista/7/8, only XP does not work.
    Also, the service DOES work when very little data is send, however, most requests are large. You would think my readerQuota's are not set high enough. This is also not true, when I change from <security mode="None"> to mode="TransportCredentialOnly" with clientCredentialType="Ntlm", so my service is authenticated it works.

    Is this a common issue?



    Also: when I start fiddler to investigate the issue, it does not occur anymore, when I close fiddler, it immediately fails again
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:34 AM

Answers

  • Tried this on client windows xp sp2 machine.

    To figure out what could cause this I installed sp3, Visual Studio 2010, all available windows updates, fiddler, etc. The issue still occurs.

    I guess it is a kind of timing issue, with fiddler in the middle, it behaves as a kind of proxy.
    When authenticated, a handshake is requested, so in both cases, there is a small delay and then it works.

    I find it a bit overkill to enable TransportCrendentialOnly for a service on which this is not required, just to support windows XP.

    Friday, March 15, 2013 7:40 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    It sounds weird, I never encounter this kind of issues. Do you try on another machine with XP system without fiddler installed?

    Best Regards.


    Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Friday, March 15, 2013 7:25 AM
    Moderator
  • Tried this on client windows xp sp2 machine.

    To figure out what could cause this I installed sp3, Visual Studio 2010, all available windows updates, fiddler, etc. The issue still occurs.

    I guess it is a kind of timing issue, with fiddler in the middle, it behaves as a kind of proxy.
    When authenticated, a handshake is requested, so in both cases, there is a small delay and then it works.

    I find it a bit overkill to enable TransportCrendentialOnly for a service on which this is not required, just to support windows XP.

    Friday, March 15, 2013 7:40 AM