none
ADF Newbie Q; Should ADF Pipelines Create my Destination DDL?

Question

• New to ADF, taking the edx.org class for V1- Though have experience w/ SSIS.

As I experiment with various blob-to-SQLDB copy exercises, I'm asking myself why Azure Data Factory doesn't provide me w/ the DDL needed to create my destination schema (if new)?

I'm working with some IoT blobs.  I've picked ~5 or so attributes from my source, but before I can map to the destination, I have to create the destination table in SQL. 

This pattern seems odd to me.  In a schema on read world such as we are... why wouldn't I see an option to "click to create target DDL" as part of my pipeline/wizard setup after I've selected my source elements?

Am I thinking of this the wrong way?

Thanks

-Eric

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:14 PM

All replies

• You could write your create table script into pre-copy script. It will be exectued before each copy. And taking retry into consideration, you may need to use “if not exists create” in your script. Currently, ADF only supports auto create table if your source is azure sql or sql server and your destination is sql Dw. This function is provided by copy data tool leveraging precopyscript.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:58 AM