Konesans Trace File Source adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Found the handy Konesans Trace File Source adapter that allows reading of SQL Profiler trace (.trc) files, and it works well. The adapter has properties that allow for Variable-based filename property interpretation...however being a total SSIS noob, I am not familiar how to set up the variables so that it will read from a series of files in a directory. The method I am familiar with, of using a ForEach container doesnt really work because the adapter itself does not rely on a connection manager, and I am unable to set the variable name for it via an expression.

Anyone out there using this tool or have some pointers?

Thx,

L

mmMmmm...yummy...
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:00 PM

Answers

• Using the Foreach Loop will work just fine.

Use the Foreach File Enumerator to get your filename list, then assign the filename to a variable (which you must be doing now anyway?).  Use that variable in the Source.  The key may be for you to set the DelayValidation property of the Data Flow Task that contains the source to True...

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    • Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:15 PM

All replies

• If it is like the xml data source, you can set the file name in an expression on the data flow task.
    Russel Loski, MCT
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Using the Foreach Loop will work just fine.

Use the Foreach File Enumerator to get your filename list, then assign the filename to a variable (which you must be doing now anyway?).  Use that variable in the Source.  The key may be for you to set the DelayValidation property of the Data Flow Task that contains the source to True...

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    • Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:15 PM
  • yes it works fine after setting the DelayValidation property of the dataflow task to true, Thanks very much for your help..
    Monday, October 8, 2012 2:46 PM