none
Numerical value of Office digital signature RRS feed

• Question

• When explaining the concept of a digital signature to people unfamiliar with them, I want to show them the actual numerical value of a digital signature in a Word document. But I cannot find any way to see the value. Word will tell me if it's valid or not, when it was signed, the details of the digital signature used to sign, but I can't see the signature itself. Is there a way to show the signature, either from within Word, or by using an external utility or text editor?
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• I have found how to do this. Rename the document so the name ends in ".zip", and say yes to any warnings about the file not working properly. Double click the renamed file. Double click the folder _xmlsignatures. In my test case, I had only one signature. When I opened the file sig1.xml with a text editor, I found a SignatureValue element which apparently contains the value of the signature.

sandbender

• Marked as answer by sandbender Friday, May 25, 2012 12:39 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Sandbender,

Your issue seems to be an end user issue. Office Answer forum may be the right forum to post it. Link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office 

regards,
    Fermin

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Fermin, I have looked pretty hard both in Office documentation and on the web and I think it is fairly unlikely there is any method to view the numerical value from with Office. I think this forum is a better place to find a solution involving a utility or text editor, and if there is a solution that's where I suspect the solution will be found. But thanks.

sandbender

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:49 PM
  • I have found how to do this. Rename the document so the name ends in ".zip", and say yes to any warnings about the file not working properly. Double click the renamed file. Double click the folder _xmlsignatures. In my test case, I had only one signature. When I opened the file sig1.xml with a text editor, I found a SignatureValue element which apparently contains the value of the signature.

sandbender

• Marked as answer by sandbender Friday, May 25, 2012 12:39 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 12:39 AM