none
Kinect for Windows gesture recognition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been looking at the Kinect for Windows release notes and features, since I want to incorporate gesture recognition in my project as well.

At the above page, the first line mentions that "The Kinect for Windows SDK enables developers to create applications that support gesture and voice recognition, ". Voice recognition API is available with the SDK and readily can be used. However, I don't think there are any gesture recognition APIs available in the SDK. The APIs of Skeleton Tracking are there to be used readily but then they have to be tailored with, to get gesture recognition.

I have seen videos of Windows Media Center beng controlled by gestures etc. and other applications too. I wonder if all these applications are custom built and have to write their own gesture recognition code.

Currently, in my project I am using Kinect DTW Gesture Recognition from Codeplex. I am having two issues with this -> 1) Looks very performance hogging, and on enabling this with my app, my app throws OutofMemory exception after some time (PC specs are pretty high). 2) Can't say much about the robustness of the system. Works at times for some people and not for others.

I thought if the APIs would have been inbuilt, it would have been good to switch to these. Are these available or else what's the resolution?

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• I agree and i asked carmine to put that on the backlog for whats going to be included in a future kinect sdk commerical release.

I want gesture recogition included in the kinect sdk as bad as you.  Their is kinecttoolbox.codeplex.com's gesture recogition library and it supports dynamic gesture recogition also up to a point but they did provide much help on it but i guess with a little coding someone could use it. If you figure out how to use the kinecttoolbox for dynamic gestures  tell me because im trying to compare a precorded gesture against a dynamic one.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Yes, this is a top requested feature that has been requested since the launch and the team is aware of the request.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi,
    I can suggest you to try my project (http://bethecontroller.com/index.php/download ). It can’t learn gesture in real time you have to define your gestures/poses but it is very flexible, easy to use and with good performance.
    For example if you need a gesture stretching your hand, you need to record a pose stretch hand and pose close hand.  For the stretch hand pose you get a pose that your hand is stress you capture it and tell to the program that you only need to track the relation of the Arm with the Forearm, for the close hand pose you get a get a pose that your hand is closed you capture it and tell to the program that you only need to track the relation of the Arm with the Forearm. Then you define a gesture that’s starts with hand close and ends with hand stretch you save the poses and gesture files and load the in your application using my dll file when a user performed this gesture an event will be raced to inform you that the this gesture was recognized. Since is a relational recognition the movement of your other body parts doesn’t not affect the results.
    Here are 2 videos demonstrating the use of the project. The wow example of use has some lag spikes because my pc cannot handle kinect ,wow and a video capturing program running at the same time :(.
    http://youtu.be/0r2-9jBp76o
    http://youtu.be/8ta-vMIx6i8
    If you think it feeds your needs feel free to use it and ask me if you have any questions or suggestions  :)

P.S. the project is updated to work with kinect for windows SDK V1

Nick

Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:54 AM
  • I have just released a $99 gesture recognition app and api for Kinect For Windows 1.0. 

I've been working on it since the SDK beta was released. It works flawlessly. 

http://www.gesturepak.com

Carl

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:11 PM