none
Why does EW4 Free limit the number of rows when creating a table? RRS feed

• Question

• Working in EW4 Free I attempted to create a table-based knockout competition `draw and result sheet' for 128 entrants.  I typed the number 128 in the table properties box for rows and eight for the number of columns; i.e. from round 1 to the winner.  On clicking Apply a message was displayed to enter an integer between 1 and 100.  Typing 99 produced a table with many rows and while I didn't count them to check I took the result as correct!

To obviate the limitation I then created a 128-row table in another web editor (Tiny MCE) and copied and pasted its HTML into a page in code view in EW4 and was able to complete the whole task without any further difficulty.

Whilst I have achieved my aim I am curious as to why there is a limit on the number of rows that can be created in EW4.  As this is a peer to peer forum I realise the reasons Microsoft included this limitation may not be known to forum contributors but I still have to ask for the sake of my curiosity!

Any suggestions?

Malcolm Walker

Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:25 AM

All replies

• Well, when you find out, feel free to let us know. As you correctly noted, this is a user-to-user forum, and we have neither knowledge of nor control over Microsoft's reasoning and decisions regarding the EW UI. But, if you do find out, by all means reopen this thread and post the answer, so it will then be available via search.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:32 AM
  • I'll mention that there is no need to use another editor to create a 128 row table in EW.

Create a 100 row table.  Directly beneath it create a 28 row table.  Look in code view.  Delete the

</table>
    <table>

lines between them.

Voila.  A 128 row table.

(By the way, EW4 free is the same program as EW4, with all the latest updates.  No need to specify that you have the free version vs the paid version of EW4.)
    • Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:53 AM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:49 AM
  • Why? Who knows? Maybe because they thought that was enough. Gotta pick some number.

But you didn't have to use another editor. You could have just inserted more rows in the existing table until you had enough--just like in Word or Publisher.

Or just copy and paste as in any other program. Copy as many rows as you need at any time and paste where you want them.

In the 4 years that I have been an active participant in this forum, this is the first time I can remember anyone complaining about this. Your project may be an outlier in the web design field.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:54 PM
  • I'm having trouble understanding why someone would want a 128 row EMPTY table created. If you have the data in comma delimitated format select the data and go Table > Convert > Text to Table and you'll get a table the size you need for your data. If you are doing data entry into a table better to do that in say Excel, export to comma delimitated and converting back to a table (to avoid all the junk that coping from Excel adds).

Though a 128 row table seems to me like something that should be using a data source either from a database or xml file not being typed by hand.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Cheryl, I was asked by the organiser to create a template for use this year and subsequent years for several annual competitions.  Entrants register manually and if more then 128 enter there is an elimination process to reduce the first round to 128.  Only then does the draw for round 1 take place.

Scott, Kathy, Bill and Cheryl, Thank you for your comments - although my curiosity remains unabated I now will keep stum again!

Malcolm Walker

Sunday, March 3, 2013 11:31 PM
  • Malcom,

Seems like a form for registrants to use that would populate a database would be the way to go for your use. The DB table would have a field that would let whoever is admin for the tournament check off those who were eliminated so you don't have to manually edit the entire table.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, March 4, 2013 1:04 AM
  • Cheryl, I was asked by the organiser to create a template for use this year and subsequent years for several annual competitions.  Entrants register manually and if more then 128 enter there is an elimination process to reduce the first round to 128.  Only then does the draw for round 1 take place.

Scott, Kathy, Bill and Cheryl, Thank you for your comments - although my curiosity remains unabated I now will keep stum again!

No problem, Malcolm, although now you've got my curiosity up over "stum." A portmanteau (still+mum)? Or some Brit slang (rhyming slang)? Or something else?  ;-)

Anyway, I agree with Cheryl in one respect—this does seem to cry out for a data-driven solution, especially since this will be used going forward. EW has built-in support for ASP.NET, and works well with Visual Web Developer Express. Either can be used for database development. One of our regulars here, Clark Kurtz, has a site with a number of basic tutorials on database development, and even an advanced tutorial that almost exactly matches your needs, an Event Signup tutorial.

That could be used and repurposed for "...this year and subsequent years for several annual competitions," rather than recreating different solutions for each application. Up to you, but maybe you should at least take a look at it, nicht wahr?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, March 4, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Stum?  From the Urban Dictionary `To not talk. To "stay stum". As far as I can tell it derives from 19th century England/Australia, . . .'  Used in Liverpool in the days of my youth; perhaps not in general use today but still heard occasionally.  From wordreference.com Yiddish: Schtum - Silent.

The various suggestions that have been offered, including yours of course, are much appreciated and very much understood as appropriate and useful.  Unfortunately, they are not relevant to the specific situation.  Currently, my only Website role is to assist in the administration and management of a proprietary Content Management System Website but I am not responsible for content.  I am supposed to keep my input to technical matters, advice and er . . assistance.  The content is handled by Administrators and Editors who have very little or no knowledge whatsoever of HTML and CSS let alone ASP.NET.  However, when I have to create or modify a page I do so in EW4 rather than the built-in web editor, TinyMCE, in which I feel rather limited.

The process of introducing change and improvement to the editing practice is one of patience, persistence and when all else fails prayer!

Malcolm Walker

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:42 AM