How do I check-in another user's code in TFS 2012 without losing their work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We use VS Ultimate 2012 with the recent second update, and Team Foundation Server 2012.

We have TFS set up such that all of our code is located on our main server. When users check out code, they check out to a central location on the server. (I realise that this is probably not the conventional set up where users check out code to their local workstations, but it works for us, and helps regarding security considerations.)

Sometimes a user will forget to check-in all of their code files before they leave at the end of the day. I am looking for a way to check-in code on behalf of another user without losing the changes that such user has made. Not losing those changes is very important to us.

Each article that I have found on this, including the following, simply undo the other user's changes.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3451637/how-to-unlock-a-file-from-someone-else-in-team-foundation-server

Can someone please advise the best way to proceed without losing those changes?

Many thanks in advance,

Keith

R K Howard

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

Thanks for your post!

Do you mean you want to check in another user's modified code?

I think if the another user's workspace is set to public, you can use your account to perform the check in and check out on the user's machine. Once a workspace has been made public or public-limited, another user can log onto the machine with the workspace and use the workspace. If the user's workspace is set to private, I think you cannot see the workspace of the user, and you cannot perform the check-in and check-out.

For more information, please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2009/11/08/tfs2010-public-workspaces.aspx

Undo the changesets means you give up the user's modified code before he checked in.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:05 AM