Cannot modify expiration retention policy - list items hold on to "original expiration date". RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a custom document retention policy/SPD workflow combo and am trying to get it to work.  I initially set up an expiration policy on the document library (resume repository) that has a retention period of "Resume Date" + 10 years.  When an item expires, the policy should then fire off a SPD workflow that I created which sends an email to the owner of the resume.  The issue I'm having is that I had originally set the retention period for 11 years.  I thought I could just go in and change it and save the modified policy, but if I then go and view the properties of a random item in the library, the "Expiration Date" is the old one, not the new one.  I've tried restarting the timer service on both app and web servers, I've tried completely deleting the expiration policy and creating a new one, I've tried removing and re-attaching the SPD workflow to the document library, etc...

The latest twist is that at some point during my many attempts to get this to work, Sharepoint has automatically set ALL of the 3,500+ items in my document library to "Exempt from policy".  I get the feeling there's some special, magic way or order in which these things need to be set up (as MS is wont to do), but can't seem to unlock it.  Now I have to figure out how to remove this exemption and then go back to trying to resolve the first issue of getting the expiration policy to work.  MS really outdid themselves on this one...
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:09 PM