none
SQL Azure Backup & Restore CTP

Question

• In the presentation at http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2011/DBI313, David Robonson talks about a SQL Azure CTP feature which allows customers to restore a database in a certain point in time. At about 40 minutes in in the presentation, he explains that a customer will have a 2 week window where they will be able to restore a database should they want this. (Note that this is different from external backup and CREATE DATABASE AS COPY OF in the way that the backup is managed entirely by Microsoft).

I have been looking for something like this, without finding it. Where can I read more about it?

Nitramafve
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:55 PM

Answers

• As far as i know, it's not available as of today.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:28 AM

All replies

• As far as i know, it's not available as of today.

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:28 AM
  • The presentation was made half a year ago, and in the presentation he demonstrated the functionality from within the Azure Portal. It was clear in the presentation that it was a CTP at this time, but surely there must be some kind of time plan or at least idéa when this functionality will be made available?

According to the presentation, this was the top 1 requested feature in SQL Azure so some kind of date would be nice to see.

Nitramafve
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:47 AM
  • yes, you are right about it being a popular feature request. And as per the SQL Azure feature voting site - it's (Enable backup's) status is planned:

And if the release date is something that can be made public, i am sure someone from Microsoft would answer your query. All i know - is that as of today - it's not something that we can do. Hope that helped.

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:03 PM