none
connecting to oracle RRS feed

• Question

• i want a .net application to connect to oracle using the oracle .net provider.  is it neccessary that i install the entire oracle client software package to do this or will installing only the oracle .net provider suffice.

tia

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:01 AM

Answers

• If you are referring to the latest version of ODP.NET I believe that it will install the Oracle "instant client". In any event the Oracle client software is required whether it's the instant client or the full client software. That is, unless you are using a third-party provider.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:33 PM

All replies

• I believe installing provider should be enough, unless it checks for installed client, but I would not expect so.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Q: Can ODP.NET work with Oracle8, Oracle8i, Oracle9i, and Oracle10g database (DB) servers? Can these DB servers be on Linux or Unix?

A: Yes and yes. Oracle clients can support older and newer versions of the Oracle database. Consult the Oracle on Windows FAQ for more information.

Oracle clients on Windows can work with Oracle database servers on any platform.

Q: Can ODP.NET be used with an Oracle8, Oracle8i, or Oracle9i Release 1 client?

A: No. You need to use the Oracle9i Release 2 or higher client.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/odpnet/faq.html

The above is from Oracle ODP.NET faq so how will someone running 8i on Solaris, IBM Iseries and Linux use only ODP.NET without the full 9i client?  The short answer is you cannot.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2044889&SiteID=1

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:18 PM
  • If you are referring to the latest version of ODP.NET I believe that it will install the Oracle "instant client". In any event the Oracle client software is required whether it's the instant client or the full client software. That is, unless you are using a third-party provider.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:33 PM