none
[MS-OXOCNTC] 2.2.1.8.3 Contact Photo Attachment RRS feed

• Question

• The spec specifies that the attachment data must be JPEG. But it does not specify any size limits - apparently Outlook does not render anything greater than 50 kB.

Outlook itself resizes and compresses the image if it is too big. What criteria must a third party application use?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.2 is now available!
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Dmitry, the behavior that you are seeing is specific to Outlook. The protocol does not impose any size restrictions on the contact photo attachment. Outlook recommends a size of 32k or smaller but will reject anything larger than exactly 50,000 bytes.

It's up to you what you want your implementation to support, but here's some other information that might help…

Contact photos are imported into the GAL in Exchange Server from Active Directory. The attribute in Active Directory is called thumbnailPhoto and the file size is limited to 100k. However, the applet that is used to import the photos into Exchange Server,  Import-RecipientDataProperty, further limits the size of the contact photo to 10k.

So, if your client will be retrieving contact photos from the GAL you should expect them to be 10k or smaller, but if they are coming from AD you can expect them to be as large as 100k.

I hope this helps you.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Dmitry

Thanks for the question. Someone from our team will get in touch with you shortly.

Thanks.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Hi Dmitry, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Hi Dmitry, the behavior that you are seeing is specific to Outlook. The protocol does not impose any size restrictions on the contact photo attachment. Outlook recommends a size of 32k or smaller but will reject anything larger than exactly 50,000 bytes.

It's up to you what you want your implementation to support, but here's some other information that might help…

Contact photos are imported into the GAL in Exchange Server from Active Directory. The attribute in Active Directory is called thumbnailPhoto and the file size is limited to 100k. However, the applet that is used to import the photos into Exchange Server,  Import-RecipientDataProperty, further limits the size of the contact photo to 10k.

So, if your client will be retrieving contact photos from the GAL you should expect them to be 10k or smaller, but if they are coming from AD you can expect them to be as large as 100k.

I hope this helps you.

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Josh, that was exactly what I needed!
    Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.2 is now available!
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:52 PM