getting started in Mobiles Programming RRS feed

• Question

• User-232499296 posted

Hi,

here for mobiles programming with ASP.NET, from where I have to start? 

In general ,How to program a mobile device?

I have a search in this topic ,please point me to a website

relate to that if you don't mind.

Thanks

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:16 PM

Answers

• User1943143334 posted

Hi,

General ASP.NET website works perfectly fine in Mobile browsers!

You can get started here - http://www.asp.net/mobile

Moreover, you can also check  - http://roopeshreddy.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/mobile-web-applications-with-asp-net-webforms/

You can also consider looking in to Mobile framworks like jQuery Mobile - http://jquerymobile.com

Hope it helps u... 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:35 PM
  • User281315223 posted

This ultimately depends on what you want to do, the applications and how you would like to build them and what devices that you want to target.

Web Applications and Responsive Design

If your intention is to develop a web application, then you should be alright as far as it being "universally accessible". Regardless of how you elect to develop it (Web Forms, MVC, etc.) it will run within just about any browser on any device that has access to the web. If your concerns lie with it's appearance, then you might want to consider designing it using a Responsive Design so that it maintains a uniform look across all devices and platforms.

Consider using one of the many Responsive Design Frameworks that are out there for your site, such as the Twitter Bootstrap. Responsive design focuses on making your site easily usable and accessible from basically any resolution and devices available.

The MVC "Mobile" templates that are offered through Visual Studio could be a variant of this, however it wouldn't be taken to the extreme that it is within one of these frameworks.

Regarding Native Applications

There isn't going to be any completely universal application that is going to work across all devices  and environments in a "native" application sense. Each application is going to require its own development to target details specific to each device (for instance iOS, Android, Windows 8 will all be different environments and would all require their own applications.

Consider Xamarin

I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Xamarin and some of their products (including MonoTouch), which are specifically geared for developing native iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile applications using C# (so the transition would be very minor and you wouldn't have to go learn Objective-C etc.)

I have used them in the past to develop some iOS "Apps" and I was more than impressed with how easy their tools were to use and how smooth the transition was from working in something like Visual Studio to MonoDevelop (the iOS IDE for Mono).

Depending on your Application and what it does, you may also consider looking into PhoneGap, which aims at creating applications in a cross-platform way that can be installed on Android, iOS and other devices.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:30 PM

All replies

• User1943143334 posted

Hi,

General ASP.NET website works perfectly fine in Mobile browsers!

You can get started here - http://www.asp.net/mobile

Moreover, you can also check  - http://roopeshreddy.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/mobile-web-applications-with-asp-net-webforms/

You can also consider looking in to Mobile framworks like jQuery Mobile - http://jquerymobile.com

Hope it helps u... 

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:35 PM
  • User281315223 posted

This ultimately depends on what you want to do, the applications and how you would like to build them and what devices that you want to target.

Web Applications and Responsive Design

If your intention is to develop a web application, then you should be alright as far as it being "universally accessible". Regardless of how you elect to develop it (Web Forms, MVC, etc.) it will run within just about any browser on any device that has access to the web. If your concerns lie with it's appearance, then you might want to consider designing it using a Responsive Design so that it maintains a uniform look across all devices and platforms.

Consider using one of the many Responsive Design Frameworks that are out there for your site, such as the Twitter Bootstrap. Responsive design focuses on making your site easily usable and accessible from basically any resolution and devices available.

The MVC "Mobile" templates that are offered through Visual Studio could be a variant of this, however it wouldn't be taken to the extreme that it is within one of these frameworks.

Regarding Native Applications

There isn't going to be any completely universal application that is going to work across all devices  and environments in a "native" application sense. Each application is going to require its own development to target details specific to each device (for instance iOS, Android, Windows 8 will all be different environments and would all require their own applications.

Consider Xamarin

I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Xamarin and some of their products (including MonoTouch), which are specifically geared for developing native iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile applications using C# (so the transition would be very minor and you wouldn't have to go learn Objective-C etc.)

I have used them in the past to develop some iOS "Apps" and I was more than impressed with how easy their tools were to use and how smooth the transition was from working in something like Visual Studio to MonoDevelop (the iOS IDE for Mono).

Depending on your Application and what it does, you may also consider looking into PhoneGap, which aims at creating applications in a cross-platform way that can be installed on Android, iOS and other devices.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:30 PM