none
How to copy the previous version of a file (some configuration file) to a temp folder and update the newer version config file by running the external exe? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have older version of .Net app installed, which has configuration file, which is a custom xml file. We need to copy this file to a temp location and run a exe to update the newer version of the app.config file. And then we need to complete the newer version installation.

How do we do this?

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Jagad,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand your issue better.

Based on your description, you can try getting the directory of installation via Registry and then get all the previous version configurations. I hope that this can shed some light on your issue.

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, I think the better consulting forum should be ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, June 26, 2009 1:59 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, June 29, 2009 2:52 AM typo
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Jagad,

How did you deploy the .NET application? MSI installer or others? Could you please clarify your issue more? What do you mean "run a exe to update the newer version of the app.config file"?

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, June 22, 2009 9:06 AM typo
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I installed the app using the .Net Setup project which I created for the project.
    It need not be a exe to run, I want an utility to run to get the all the previous version configuration to the new version path that I am going to install.

1) Can we get the previous version installed path using a variable?
    2) I tried copying the previous version installed config file to a temp folder, where I am passing the previous version installed path as Custom User Interface TextBox screen, CustomeActionData----> /path="[EDITA1]"
    But it throws error as "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. the error code is 2869". Any Idea?

Thanks,
    Jagad.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:37 PM
  • Hi Jagad,

Thank you for your clarification. I can understand your issue better.

Based on your description, you can try getting the directory of installation via Registry and then get all the previous version configurations. I hope that this can shed some light on your issue.

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to deployment, I think the better consulting forum should be ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, June 26, 2009 1:59 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, June 29, 2009 2:52 AM typo
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:47 AM