none
How to use System.Text.Json to parse Json data on different conditions. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:
    I have to parse some Json data on different conditions.  In some cases, Json string is like this:
    {"canceled": true, "id": false, "amount": 0}, in this case, the "id" value is bool, here it is false; but in other 
    cases, the Json string is like this:
    {"canceled": false, "id": "123", "amount": 1.0}.  In this case, when "canceled" is false, "id" has string value, or actually contains some numeric values.
    I am using .NET Core 3.0, so I want to use built-in System.Text.Json to parse the Json string in different cases.
    But if I use C# class to define the later case, in which "canceled" is false, then when the Json string I received is the former case, I got the following error message:
    {"Cannot get the value of a token type 'False' as a string."}
    The following is my code:

public class RootObject
    {
        [JsonPropertyName("canceled")]
        public bool Canceled { get; set; }
        #nullable enable
        [JsonPropertyName("id")]
        public string? ID { get; set; }
        [JsonPropertyName("amount")]
        public decimal? Amount { get; set; }
        #nullable disable
    }

string json_data1 = @"{""canceled"": false, ""id"": "123", ""amount"": 1.0}";
    RootObject data1 = JsonSerializer.Deserialize<RootObject>(json_data1);
    string json_data0 = @"{""canceled"": true, ""id"": false, ""amount"": 0}";
    RootObject data0 = JsonSerializer.Deserialize<RootObject>(json_data0);

I think I may have to define two C# classes for each case, but it seem not a good solution.
    I think a better solution seems to define one C# class for the both cases, but I can't figure out how to do this.
    Please advice.  I am using Visual Studio 2019 Version 16.3.2 on Windows 10 (1903) targeting .NET core 3.0.
    Thanks,

Sunday, October 6, 2019 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi zydjohn,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, you want to parse Json data on different conditions.

You could change the type of ID to do it.

public class RootObject
        {
            [JsonPropertyName("canceled")]
            public bool Canceled { get; set; }
    #nullable enable
            [JsonPropertyName("id")]
            public object ID { get; set; }
            [JsonPropertyName("amount")]
            public decimal? Amount { get; set; }
    #nullable disable
        }
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                string json_data1 = @"{""canceled"": false, ""id"": 123,""amount"": 1.0}";
                RootObject data1 = JsonSerializer.Deserialize<RootObject>(json_data1);
                string json_data0 = @"{""canceled"": true, ""id"": false, ""amount"": 0}";
                RootObject data0 = JsonSerializer.Deserialize<RootObject>(json_data0);
            }
        }
    Result:

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by zydjohn Monday, October 7, 2019 6:19 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 1:39 AM