Rendering 3d with Context2d?

Question

•  I am programming a 2D engine which for my games using Direct2D. The engine works really great,  but I'm being lazy and tired of drawing sprites. So my Idea was to use 3D models and make them look like 2D with some hlsl effects.

My big problem is the orthogonal camera.  Its really hard to have those 3D models in the correct coordinate. Thats why I thought of just rendering the models directly in the 2D context.

My question is... Is it possible to directly render 3D models directly to the 2D context without rendering them to a bitmap first and then drawing the bitmap to the 2D context... Because that is very slow.

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:01 AM

All replies

• What problems are you having with your orthogonal camera?  What's hard?  What isn't working for you?  It shouldn't be hard.  Just choose an orthogonal view matrix rather than a perspective view matrix.

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 4:45 PM
  •      Hi Caino,

I have never done what you're trying to do, however I've heard from at least two game developers that have been able to do what you're trying. In a nutshell:

* They divide the image in individual sections, and then they create a "skeleton" that links all these sections together.
     * They created a shader that computes rotations and translations, and then
     * They just move these bones to create the complex animations they want.

Call me crazy, but I believe that there is a software that already does that. I'd never use it, but I've heard good things about it.

Tarh ik

Sunday, January 11, 2015 4:47 AM