none
Kinect sensor as webcam for skype RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Kinect SDK and ran samples (Audio, NUI) , everything looks great! Nice job team.

Skype can use Kinect Audio array as its microphone. This is great!

I tried to use Kinect as web cam for skype. Skype does not recognize Kinect as a web cam. Are there any specific setting that i can do to let Skype recognize Kinect as a webcam.

Thanks

Sethu

Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• The Kinect RGB camera is  not exposed as a webcam. You can't use it with Skype. This has already been discussed.

Trevor

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Maybe some people can, but it doesn't work for me. The three sample games from the Kinect for PC from Microsoft SDK work fine BTW.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Note: i found out the wpfveiwer sample does work in the newest sdk because i can compile but get a blankapp when it starts up.

Remember audiomagnate you have to read up to post 10 were he fixes his command statement and sometimes running on desktop can help with his filter in the post above can help.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.
    • Edited by The Thinker Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Hasan Abbasi Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:51 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:08 PM
  • If you have the Kinect SDK and run the Kinect Explorer sample you'll get a window showing the Kinect video output. Just share that window over Skype if you just want a quick hack to this problem.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Scotts webcam works perfectly in beta 2 but needs to be updated but he does have source post in above link for anyone wishing to take a look at it.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi, i have little develop knowledge. What i got are vs2010 and SDK1.5.Can you please give me some suggestion how can i compile the beta 2 version to 1.5? Thank you

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Please look at the end of scotts forum post above for the persons for the latest webcam filter and install using regsvr32. No need to do any programming in code to install just run the regsvr32 command.

Then you can make calls with skype and see the video feed. It crashs after a few seconds of video feed data in expression encoder though. Maybe I will start a seperate thread asking about it.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:15 PM
  • yes it worthing asking

Is it ok in the amcaP?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Yes, it was working fine in my tests in skype.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:49 PM
  • I create solution in C#/.NET 2.0, binary files you can find at Kinect for PC and Skype means KinectCam @ .NET Rulez! Blog it works on Kinect SDK 1.6 and on new Skype :). Do you think it is usefull?
    • Edited by Piotr Sowa Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:59 PM domain name in link url have to be updated
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:25 AM
  • how can i use it on any site like : webcamtoy omegle etc.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:52 PM
  • I've found this solution and ¡¡¡it has worked like a charm!!!

My status does not allow me to post any links, but I got this from SUPERUSER . COM under this topic: 

Using a Microsoft Kinect on a PC as a Webcam; Is \Stream.sys for Kinect Available?

Microsoft has drivers to let the Kinect do this in a different update channel. Here's how to get those drivers from Windows Update.

Opt-in to receive test distribution drivers

1. Open the Windows Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
    2. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\
    3. Create subkeys \DriverFlighting\Partner\
    4. Under \Partner subkey, create a string named “TargetRing” and key-in “Drivers” as the value.

Get the drivers from Device Manager or Windows Update

From Device Manager:

1. Open Device Manager (Windows key + x, then m).
    2. Expand “Kinect sensor devices”.
    3. Right-click on "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0".
    4. Click "Update Driver Software..."
    5. Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
    6. Allow it to download and install the new driver.
    7. Reboot.

You can now use the Kinect for Xbox One as a webcam and for Windows Hello.

References:

Windows Hello with the Kinect v2
    Test Distribution Drivers
    Monday, February 12, 2018 1:13 AM