none
Microsoft office outlook has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,
    I created on VSTO (3.0) addin for Outlook 2007 using VS 2008.
    I installed it on one machine which has Outlook 2007 and Windows VISTA.
    While i open outlook on that machine after installing my VSTO Addin, it most of the time shows
    "Microsoft office outlook has stopped working
    Windows is checking for a solution to a problem"
    and after that outlook hangs.

I coudln't find any way on internet to solve this issue.
    Can you please help me out here.

Thanks and Best Regards,
    Nikhil Sharma

Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:17 AM

Answers

• Outlook Not Responding can happen in general normal use and or from coding that is causing the process to be seen by Windows as non Responsive.

Please let us know more information on what the application is trying to do on Startup as this is possibly a likely cause if the application doesn't seem stable from the initial loading of Outlook. Additionally please ensure you are Service Packed as a lot of these type of issues sometimes are resolved by Patches and or sometimes caused by patching of Office applications albeit hopefully less in the latter.

Another key area to review is the other Addins that maybe installed as this can show up a conflict possibly and you may find if you disable other addins and then your solution works may indicate to you what your code maybe conflicting with and either work around or adjust to work alongside the other Addin.

Regards

Mike Walker MVP - Visual Developer VSTO - Please mark the best replies as Answers ! Owner and CTO FWBS Ltd http://www.fwbs.net Twitter: www.twitter.com/mikewalker74
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, July 9, 2010 1:36 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Could you tell me in details the function of the add-in, may be I could  offer some helps.

According to your description, I think you can try these steps first:

1. Make a simple add-in program to see if it can run properly on your computer. If it runs without any problem, then may

be the error is caused by the  code.

2. If the program can run correctly on the developing platform, but owns the same problem when installed to a computer,

then may be the problem comes from the deployment. Since the Outlook object model security guard prevents code from

accessing sensitive parts of the Outlook object model such as the address book  or the send mail functionality, It may

cause the issue. Its purpose is to protect Outlook from code that might spread as an email worm virus.

Last but not least, please check the anti-virus application to see wheather it prevents the add-ins. I'm looking forward

to more information about the error. Thank you!

Best Regards,

lwjmay

Monday, July 5, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Outlook Not Responding can happen in general normal use and or from coding that is causing the process to be seen by Windows as non Responsive.

Please let us know more information on what the application is trying to do on Startup as this is possibly a likely cause if the application doesn't seem stable from the initial loading of Outlook. Additionally please ensure you are Service Packed as a lot of these type of issues sometimes are resolved by Patches and or sometimes caused by patching of Office applications albeit hopefully less in the latter.

Another key area to review is the other Addins that maybe installed as this can show up a conflict possibly and you may find if you disable other addins and then your solution works may indicate to you what your code maybe conflicting with and either work around or adjust to work alongside the other Addin.

Regards

Mike Walker MVP - Visual Developer VSTO - Please mark the best replies as Answers ! Owner and CTO FWBS Ltd http://www.fwbs.net Twitter: www.twitter.com/mikewalker74
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, July 9, 2010 1:36 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:00 AM