jQuery 2.0.0 Not Verified


  • Hi,

    I'm trying to create an application for the Windows 8 Store using the new jQuery 2.0.0. The app works splendidly but, upon verification, I get the following error under the Performance Test category. 

    Bytecode generation
    Error Found: The bytecode generation test detected the following errors:
    File \\?\C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\25899MatthewKaufer.TrigonometricTriangleSolver_1.0.0.4_neutral__2hr1s851qz6de\js\jquery-2.0.0.js has JavaScript syntax or other problems.
    Impact if not fixed: As a performance optimization to accelerate JavaScript execution time, JavaScript files ending in the ".js" extension generate bytecode when the app is deployed. This optimization significantly improves start-up and ongoing execution times for JavaScript.
    How to fix: You may need consider one or more of these steps to fix the issue:
    - Ensure that event logging is enabled
    -	All JavaScript files are syntactically valid; otherwise exclude the respective files from the package
    -	Please note that you should uninstall all previous versions of the app before deploying
    Otherwise exclude the respective files from the package.

    I believe that it's angry at jQuery for not being formatted properly. I've tried using both the compressed version and the uncompressed version of jQuery, but to no avail. I'm wondering if anyone else here had any luck using jQuery and, if so, how they did it.

    At the moment (although I got the exact same error using the compressed version), I'm using the uncompressed version of jQuery. jQuery is in my js folder, and I'm accessing it using the following code:

        <script src="/js/jquery-2.0.0.js"></script>

    I'd just like to know if anyone else was able to use jQuery in their app and, if so, how. The app works fine, it's just that the verification process dislikes jQuery. 

    As an additional note, jQuery 2.0.0 is supposed to be able to work with Windows Store apps. 

    Thank you,

    Matthew Kaufer

    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:17 AM


  • Just a thought, but it might be that the .js file needs to be saved with UFT-8 encoding. Open the file in Visual Studio, then do a File > Save As. In that dialog, click the down arrow on the Save button and select Save with Encoding.

    In that box, select the Unicode (UTF-8 with signature) – Codepage 65001 option as shown here

    This is what’s required for the optimized bytecode generation that the error is talking about, so it might be the fix.


    Author, Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:15 PM