NODE.JS and windows 8 store app

Question

• Is their a way to use node js in building a windows 8 app without a webservice

Sunday, March 10, 2013 8:49 AM

Answers

• Node is a server-side process: it runs on a server like Windows Azure to implement service functionality. Node.js is the language used to configure the Node process.

Windows Store apps can be written with JavaScript, that is, client-side JavaScript using HTML5/EcmaScript 5 intrinsics. Other than the JavaScript language, this has no relation to Node.js.

So if you're simply asking, can I write an app with the specific APIs that Node.js makes available, the answer is no. The APIs you use from JS in an app are like those you use when writing client-side script for a web app.

Kraig

Author, Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:35 PM

All replies

• Node is a server-side process: it runs on a server like Windows Azure to implement service functionality. Node.js is the language used to configure the Node process.

Windows Store apps can be written with JavaScript, that is, client-side JavaScript using HTML5/EcmaScript 5 intrinsics. Other than the JavaScript language, this has no relation to Node.js.

So if you're simply asking, can I write an app with the specific APIs that Node.js makes available, the answer is no. The APIs you use from JS in an app are like those you use when writing client-side script for a web app.

Kraig

Author, Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Can I use windows azure mobile services for a windows store app in node

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Can I use windows azure mobile services for a windows store app in node

Yes, you can have your app connect to nearly any kind of service.
    Monday, March 18, 2013 5:38 PM