none
Database Mail Profile is not displayed when configuring Notification for a job. RRS feed

• Question

• I created a profile and account using the Database Mail wizard. I successfully sent and received a test email after setting it up. I then configured SQL Server Agent to use DB Mail and verified the profile is defined in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\SQLServerAgent\DatabaseMailProfile. I closed the management console and restarted the agent service. After logging back in to the console I opened the properties of one of our backup jobs. On the Notifications page I checked the box for email however the profile is not available in the drop down list. We are running MSSQL 2014 on Windows 2012R2.

Forgot to mention, the profile is defined as a public profile

• Edited by FredHue Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:43 AM

Answers

• On the Notifications page I checked the box for email however the profile is not available in the drop down list.

Hello,

On the SQL Server Agent Job notification page you get the list of operator to send the mail to, not a Database Mail Profile.

You have to create operators first, see Create an Operator

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by FredHue Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:07 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you make sure that the profile is public and default profile as yes?

Regards,

Balwant.

Failure in Life is failure to try... PGDCA-98(South Gujarat University),MCSA (SQL 2012) , MCTS (SQL Server 2005) http://blog.vspatel.co.uk/

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Yes on both.

Is your field ready?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Have you followed below steps?

Using SQL Server Management Studio

To configure SQL Server Agent to use Database Mail

• In Object Explorer, expand a SQL Server instance.

• Right-click SQL Server Agent, and then click Properties.

• Click Alert System.

• Select Enable Mail Profile.

• In the Mail system list, select Database Mail.

• In the Mail profile list, select a mail profile for Database Mail.

• Restart SQL Server Agent.

Regards,

Balwant

Failure in Life is failure to try... PGDCA-98(South Gujarat University),MCSA (SQL 2012) , MCTS (SQL Server 2005) http://blog.vspatel.co.uk/

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:29 AM
  • On the Notifications page I checked the box for email however the profile is not available in the drop down list.

Hello,

On the SQL Server Agent Job notification page you get the list of operator to send the mail to, not a Database Mail Profile.

You have to create operators first, see Create an Operator

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by FredHue Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:07 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Thanks Olaf for putting all the pieces together. This seems like an overcomplicated process just to get a notification about a failed backup job. An account, profile and an operator?

Is your field ready?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:10 PM
  • Bullet point #6 (Mail Profile List) is where I'm stuck.   There are no profiles to choose from.   It's blank when I click to pull up the drop down.   I did create an Operator and the operator appears under the SQL Server Agent:Operators:TechSupport.  

Using SQL Server Management Studio

To configure SQL Server Agent to use Database Mail

• In Object Explorer, expand a SQL Server instance.

• Right-click SQL Server Agent, and then click Properties.

• Click Alert System.

• Select Enable Mail Profile.

• In the Mail system list, select Database Mail.

• In the Mail profile list, select a mail profile for Database Mail.

• Restart SQL Server Agent.

Monday, April 29, 2019 3:45 PM
  • It does little good to post a "me, too" reply to an old and answered thread. Start a new thread with all the details mentioned here.  Notice also the post by Olaf - the one marked as the answer. Does this apply here? And is this question really relevant to "Notification Services"? 

Lastly, identify the version and EDITION you are using - this is almost always important information that affects your issue and any possible solution. But do this in a new thread if needed. 

Monday, April 29, 2019 3:57 PM