App crashing after publishing and installing from the store ( only in some pc's )

Question

• I developed 2 applications for windows store. 

They were working fine when I tested the apps locally. ( Deployed from VS 2013 ). 

But when I published the apps and installed them, sometimes, the app is crashing at some points. This is not happening everytime and it's happening only on some pc's. 

I checked on both windows 8.1 and windows 8. Also, I tried changing the date format which does not change anything.

I have 3 devices on which the app is not working properly ( crashing ) and about 10 devices on which app is working fine. 

Can somebody try and help me resolve this issue?

Thanks

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:25 PM

All replies

• It would help if you could specify how/where/when the app is crashing. A crash could be caused by almost anything, and saying it crashes doesn't really give any information.

Does your app use isolated storage settings? If you try to access a setting that doesn't exist you might get a crash. When testing locally you would likely have these settings already created from previous testing of the app.

Try creating a new Microsoft account and log into your device to run the app. You might find that it crashes only for new users, which is a sign of incorrect isolated storage use.

Does your app rely on external data? Your connection could be failing and/or your app could be getting incorrect data from an external source.

You really need to find out what line(s) of code make the app crash and then investigate from there.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying.

In my app, I have a list which on clicking, opens a new page containing graphs. It's crashing when I click on these lists. But it's crashing only sometimes. Also, as I mentioned, it's crashing in only on some devices. I tried installing it in more than 10 devices ( new ) through store and it crashed on 3 devices till now. 

All the three devices on which it is crashing are touch screen. Didn't think that'll matter but I'm not sure. And the app didn't crash when I built the same app through VS.

And I'm unable to find the lines of code where the app crashes, when I try to debug the installed app, it doesn't crash.  

If you know any common errors people make, please tell them to me. I'll try and see if that helps.

Thanks

Sudhakar

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:52 AM