How to build graphical object ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I am seen around many application which implement object structure or relation through graphical representation in a similar way it is used for instance to mdole a class object and automatically generate code from it or when you deisgn a visual shema.

What is teh tehnics to represent graphical representation of object in that way ? any idea ?

thnaks for help
    regards
    serge
    Your experience is build from the one of others
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• Since this is a built-in feature of Visual Studio. Why we need to develop another one?

To create such a tool, we need to design our own algorithm on how to iterate all classes and thier properties, methods, fields and so on. And then we choose a UI technology to draw them in our window.

You can type Open Source UML in google and get a lot of open sourced UML tool for reference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UML_tools

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Ji Zhou
    • Proposed as answer by Ji.Zhou Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ji.Zhou Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:59 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Check this out:  Microsoft Automatic Graph Layout

[quote]

MSAGL is a .NET tool for graph layout and viewing. It was developed in Microsoft Research by Lev Nachmanson. MSAGL is built on the principle of the Sugiyama scheme; it produces so called layered, or hierarchical layouts. This kind of a layout naturally applies to graphs with some flow of information. For example, the graph could represent a control flow graph of a program, a state machine, or a C++ class hierarchy.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

• This is built into Visual Studio.  If you have Visual Studio Standard or above, you can right click on your project node, and select Add File... then "Class Diagram".  From there, you can graphically display an existing class, or you can design your object model automatically using the Class designer.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Yes this I know, sorry I miss eplain them.
    What I wold like to know is how this type of graphical designer is build behind teh scnene, for example if I need to create similar graphical designer for my own applciation purpose ?

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Since this is a built-in feature of Visual Studio. Why we need to develop another one?

To create such a tool, we need to design our own algorithm on how to iterate all classes and thier properties, methods, fields and so on. And then we choose a UI technology to draw them in our window.

You can type Open Source UML in google and get a lot of open sourced UML tool for reference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UML_tools

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Ji Zhou
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:58 AM
  • in my opinion, StarUML is the best  free software for working  and learn UML
    msn# is_not_private@hotmail.com
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Hello Ji.Zhou,

>>> And then we choose a UI technology to draw them in our window.

In fact I am asking this just by curiosity on the way it is done and becasue I would like to apply such graphical technics on one of my customer application..

So what is the type of UI technology used to draw such things ?

regards
    serge

Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Check this out:  Microsoft Automatic Graph Layout

[quote]

MSAGL is a .NET tool for graph layout and viewing. It was developed in Microsoft Research by Lev Nachmanson. MSAGL is built on the principle of the Sugiyama scheme; it produces so called layered, or hierarchical layouts. This kind of a layout naturally applies to graphs with some flow of information. For example, the graph could represent a control flow graph of a program, a state machine, or a C++ class hierarchy.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:21 PM