VS15/17 error APPX1639: missing file "MakePri.exe" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I've been trying to fix this issue already for about 3 days. Im trying to start basic UWP application in Visual Studio 15 Enterprise (also tried Vs 17 from ms imagine), blank one without adding or changing anything to it. The problem is I cannot run/debug it since it always throws error APPX1639. Im running it on a Windows 10 Educational version. I've upgraded my win 7 to win 10 pro then switched trying to fix this error to the edu version. (Used Microsoft Creation Tool to upgrade from win 7)

In both Vs 15 and 17 results are the same except it targets different Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets file for proper version.

For example error from VS 17. (It's in Polish but basicaly it says error APPX1639: missing file "MakePri.exe". To get more information visit...

1>E:\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v15.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(967,5): error APPX1639: nie odnaleziono pliku „MakePri.exe”. Aby uzyskać więcej informacji, zobacz http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=798187.

So what i've tried was:

First, I've checked if there's WindowsSdkDir entry in system's environment variables. (There isn't)

Then, installing different SDK versions so I've get myself: 10.0.15063 and 10.0.26624 both failed and didn't change anything.

I've tried to repair,modify,uninstall VS 15, that also didn't help. Tried to install new MSBuild Tools. Then I've installed VS 17, now im here.

Also win developer option is turned to on.

Saturday, May 6, 2017 9:38 PM

Answers

• Registry path is fine pointing correctly to the kits folder. I've also notice that I have only one device preset for resolution and scale where I should have more to choose from.

It's set by default " 13" Default (1366x766) 100% Scale" Cannot even change it to different since there's only default one. Preview devices are stored with windows kits.

So the problem is that Visual cannot find those kits. Im really considering reinstalling whole windows to get rid of everything. I've also had vs 12 and vs 13 before, maybe there's some kind of conflict between old and new files.

Let me know if you have something else you want me to try to. If it fails then I will reinstall win10 and see if it will work then.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:25 PM
  • Hey sorry for delay, didn't have much time lately. Yea It's all fine after reinstalling. Most propably there was something wrong with registry, I had few visual studio versions before with many frameworks/addons so it could be the reason why visual couldn't figure it out.

Anyway best way to get rid of the issue is to run clean system (or some early backup), but first I think it's worth to try few things (step by step what you should try before reinstalling windows) :

1. First check WindowsSdkDir entry in system's environment variables. If it's there remove it.

2. Reinstall SDK (not worth trying installing different versions, you just need one)

3. Repair VisualStudio or even reinstall it

4. Check if windows kit path is fine (pointing to right direction) ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.)

5. If it's still not working and if you don't want to reinstall windows you can manually change paths in Microsoft.AppxPackage.Targets like I've described few posts before. (You will still be missing atleast device presets but you should be able to debug without problems, you will also have to switch between x86 and x64 changing paths for makepri.exe etc.)

6. Reinstall windows 10. Install visual studio with UWP SDK or add it later by using modify option in add/remove programs.

Thanks for your time Leo. Marked as answered.

• Marked as answer by Patryk A Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:40 PM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Patryk A,

After installed the different SDK version, Have you try to target the solution to Build 15063 or 26624 to check if it works fine?

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 10:56 AM
  • Hi, thanks for Your respond.

Yes I did. Unfortunetly neither 15063, 26624 or even Anniversary version 10.1.14393 didn't work.

Clean vs 2017 installation with sdk's, new blank app and it's just not working. That error is really giving me a headache.

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:01 PM
  • @Patryk A, I have noticed that your installation path of Visual Studio was changed to: E:\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017....rather than the default path. The MakePri.exe is installed with the Windows SDK in the default path:C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin or C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.15063.0. This may be the reason Visual Studio could not find MakePri.exe. So could you please try to install the Visual Studio 2015/2017 and Widows SDK by default, do not modify the installation directory.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:43 AM
  • I can try to but I don't think it will fix the issue since vs 15 path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0

and I've already reinstalled it there when the problem first occured. I had not much space left that's why VS 17 is on E partition.

But I've recently noticed that you can change FullFilePath in Microsoft.AppxPackage.Targets and manually target it to MakePri.exe. I've managed to make it work.

So again what I did step by step

In targets file there's:

FullFilePath="$(MakePriExeFullPath)"

I've changed it to

FullFilePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86\MakePri.exe"

After that also few other files like MakeAppx.exe and signtool.exe couldn't have been found so I've did similar like with MakePri. Then I've build project with x86 and it worked fine. So the issue must be with wrong path that VS have. If both vs 15 and 17 face the same problem then I guess it must be in registry (shared for both vs versions). Unfortunetly I don't know where the path to Windows Kits is stored.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 11:34 AM
  • @Patryk A, Thanks for your sharing.

>>>I guess it must be in registry (shared for both vs versions). Unfortunetly I don't know where the path to Windows Kits is stored.

The registry path to windows Kits is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.

You could check it on you machine.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Registry path is fine pointing correctly to the kits folder. I've also notice that I have only one device preset for resolution and scale where I should have more to choose from.

It's set by default " 13" Default (1366x766) 100% Scale" Cannot even change it to different since there's only default one. Preview devices are stored with windows kits.

So the problem is that Visual cannot find those kits. Im really considering reinstalling whole windows to get rid of everything. I've also had vs 12 and vs 13 before, maybe there's some kind of conflict between old and new files.

Let me know if you have something else you want me to try to. If it fails then I will reinstall win10 and see if it will work then.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:25 PM
  • Um, sry, I also have no better advice now, If you do not mind, you can try to reinstall the win10 to check if it will work. And you can share the result after reinstall win10, thanks.

Note: As a suggestion, After reinstall the win10, if possible, please install the Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 in the same folder.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:46 AM
  • @Patryk A, How about the result after you reinstall the Win10? If this issue not occur, you could share the solution here, and you could mark it as the answer, so it could help other community members who get the same issues. If not, you could share more information to us, we will follow it up. Thanks.

Monday, May 15, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Hey sorry for delay, didn't have much time lately. Yea It's all fine after reinstalling. Most propably there was something wrong with registry, I had few visual studio versions before with many frameworks/addons so it could be the reason why visual couldn't figure it out.

Anyway best way to get rid of the issue is to run clean system (or some early backup), but first I think it's worth to try few things (step by step what you should try before reinstalling windows) :

1. First check WindowsSdkDir entry in system's environment variables. If it's there remove it.

2. Reinstall SDK (not worth trying installing different versions, you just need one)

3. Repair VisualStudio or even reinstall it

4. Check if windows kit path is fine (pointing to right direction) ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.)

5. If it's still not working and if you don't want to reinstall windows you can manually change paths in Microsoft.AppxPackage.Targets like I've described few posts before. (You will still be missing atleast device presets but you should be able to debug without problems, you will also have to switch between x86 and x64 changing paths for makepri.exe etc.)

6. Reinstall windows 10. Install visual studio with UWP SDK or add it later by using modify option in add/remove programs.

Thanks for your time Leo. Marked as answered.

• Marked as answer by Patryk A Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:40 PM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:40 PM
  • I had the same issue and tried everything mentioned so far, except reinstalling Windows. In the end it turns out that SDKManifest.xml was missing from the SDK root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10). I copied the file from a working installation of the same version SDK (from another PC) and that solved it for me. 

So it is work checking that you have an SDKManifest.xml in the root folder of the SDK.

It is beyond me why uninstalling everything (VS2017 and all Win10 SDKs) and reinstalling from scratch still did not install that single file.

Friday, December 22, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Thanks Panayotis.

My machine was also in this state. Completely uninstalled VS2017 - ran the VS install cleaner, manually cleaned up folders and registry, installed again from scratch and still got missing makepri.exe errors.

Copied SDKManifest.xml from another machine and everything is now up and running again (wish I'd known about this days ago).

So strange that neither VS nor the SDK 10 installs actually re-wrote this file back.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:38 PM
  • It looks like I'm running into the same problem, missing the SDKManifest.xml. Unfortunatley, I don't have access to another PC with a working installation. Do you know where I might be able to download the missing file?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 9:29 PM