Image Audit RRS feed

• Question

• Just learning EW4 and I can't find this anywhere in the forum or Help file.  Apologies if it's been covered before.

Is there any way of doing an audit of images (specifically in an /images folder) to check which old image files are no longer referenced by any pages of a site?

Thanks,
    Mark

Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:23 AM

All replies

• Try the Unlinked files report.
    View->Site->Problems->Unlinked Files
    This report lists files that cannot be found by following links from the Home Page.

Click on the Type column header to sort by extension

Click the down arrow on the column header to apply filters.

An Unlinked file will have 0 in the Links To column - it may appear in this report because the file(s) that links to it is itself not obtainable from links from the Home page.

Note that the report will traet files that are linked only by script (javascript, server side script) as unlinked.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:42 AM
  • I use a different method that takes longer but I feel is more accurate. With your site open in EW, click the hyperlinks Tab on Site View. One by one go down the list of files in your images folder. Any that do not show as linked to another page, I make as Exclude From Publishing. Once I have gone down the entire list, I then move those files to another folder (orphans).

Files that are linked only by script (javascript, server side script) will show as unlinked so you need to be aware of which of your files may be in this category. Once you are sure the orphan files are no longer in use, you can either delete them or move the folder to another place on your computer to save them.

More time consuming but more surefire than the unlinked files report for me anyway.

Pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Thank you very much, both!  Both techniques have their advantages.  Really appreciate it.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:29 AM