Merge of indirectly related branches

Question

• Hi all,

I did few tests in with the  October CTP, and looks like the feature is missing.

If I have a Main branch, then a Version_1_0 derived from it an a Version_1_5 derived from the 1.0, I can't merge from Main to Version_1_5 directly. The only choice I have is to go through the version_1_0 which is something I wouldn't want to do in some scenarios.

I know I still have the baseless merge in command line, but well, it's baseless...

So my question is quite simple: is this feature planned for RTM or not ?

Thanks,
    Loïc

PS: more info on this post
    Monday, November 03, 2008 10:45 PM

All replies

• What you are attempting to do would infact be a baseless merge from the TFS perspective, the files in your Version_1_5 branch do not have a common base with the Main branch.  As far as adding baseless merge to the UI, I don't think that is planned.

Chris Patterson MSFT
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Supporting baseless merge in the UI is something we very much want but looking at our TFS 2010 schedule, it's not looking like it is going to make this release.

Brian
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Sorry, looks like I wasn't alerted about the replies...

I'm not looking for Baseless Merge in the UI, but for three way merge between indirectly related branches.
    If the two branches have a common parent, we should find a common 'version' as the base for the three way merge.

Regards,
    Loïc
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:05 AM