none
Attach purchased domain to Web App RRS feed

• Question

• From @Kryptryx via Twitter:

I have a problem getting my custom domain name pointing to my azure web app. Can you help me this? Some background. I purchased the domain six or so months ago through azure, and it was working fine. I deleted and recreated the Web app, and it now has a different IP. To associate the domain name, it requires the CNAME record be set first. But I can find nowhere within Azure to do this. Plenty of pointers on how to manage the domain name once it is associated with the web app, but nothing to address management of domain names not yet associated with an app, but purchased with Azure. No, does not help. That documentation assumes the external domain name is managed by another domain name service, for instance godaddy, which provides an interface to manage their domains. The problem is that the domain was SOLD by azure, and therefore AZURE needs to provide the interface to manage it, and it is that interface I cannot find. Azure do use godaddy to handle the purchase of these domains, but in checking with godaddy themselves, they are adamant that their arrangement with Azure means they cannot mange the domains, that Azure have this responsibility themselves. To clarify further, Azure DO provide management once the domain name is attached to a web app. It is the process of attaching that is the problem. Azure require the CNAME record, but do not appear to provide a way for this to be set.

Thanks!

@AzureSupport 

Monday, February 15, 2016 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello

Once you have purchased the domain with Azure, it should show up under "managed domains" for any web apps inside that subscription. Clicking on that managed domain will give you a blade to assign CNAME, Subdomain etc to the web app.

Can you please provide me the name of the domain in question and we will be able to look up if the domain exists as managed domain?

Thanks

AJ

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:35 PM
  • The domain name is buggy-software.com. The Web app is buggy-software.azurewebsites.net

It does not show up under under "Managed domains" because it is not currently assigned to web app.

Monday, February 15, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

Go to your Web App, Tools > Custom domains and SSL:

Then Bring External Domain:

Then type your custom domain. It will work if you correctly set the CNAME pointing to your Azure Web App domain:

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Yes, that is the problem. There is no CNAME so it wont let me add the domain.

The problem is that the DNS provider is AZURE. And there does not seem to be a way to get AZURE to create the CNAME.

I know that the actual name is hosted by wild-west, which is a part of GoDaddy. But Godaddy are unable to help since this domain was bought through Azure, by following the "Buy Domain" link tat is also shown above.

See my initial report for the more details on the problem.

To reiterate, I cannot use the "Bring External Domains" because I need the CNAME created first, and I cannot find a way to create the CNAME when Azure is the DNS provider.

I will try to re-create the web app again. Maybe there is a step missing somewhere.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:29 PM
  • Did you try using the Azure-Cli/Powershell approach?

• Edited by Ealsur Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Tried that, and that seems to have helped me. I didn't create the CNAME record, but was able to add an A record, and once that propagates, I should be ok.

I also noticed a "DNS Zone" entry is now available on my Azure portal. Maybe this is because I created the zone with the CLI, or maybe something else caused it. But that now allows me to use the Azure portal to manage the DNS records, which is ideal.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:08 PM
  • No, not good. That didn't work. The problem of course is that the DNS zone is still external to Azure, and I can't transfer it. It is hosted by GoDaddy, but because it was purchased thorugh Azure, GoDaddy don't provide any access to mange it.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:33 AM
  • Checking the Azure docs, I found this on where it talks about buying the domain thorugh azure. The page is https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/custom-dns-web-site-buydomains-web-app/

Near the bottom, it says:

---

If you successfully ordered a domain, you can manage the domain and assign to your web app. Click the "..." at the right side of your domain. Then you can Cancel purchase or Manage domain. Click Manage domain, then we can bind subdomain to our web app on Manage domain blade.

----

Where is this "..." at the right side of the domain? I cannot see it anywhere. I have checked both on the new portal and the old portal. Nothing leads to the "Manage domain" option.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:36 AM
  • The problem occurs because the subscription was changed from a pay-as-you-go subscription to developer benefits subscription. The purchase of the domain name is tied to the subscription with it was purchased. Creating the App under the original subscription enables the management blade.
    Friday, February 19, 2016 12:07 PM