How to support Word and Excel VSTO Add-ins on MAC OS RRS feed

• Question

• I have created Word and Excel application add-ins using C# VSTO for Office 2007-2016.

Now I need to support these add-ins on MAC OS. Is it possible to reuse the existing VSTO code for MAC?

Basically I want to create ribbon/toolbar for creating some controls and call some java jar and .net exe  to generate something.

Please guide me what are the better options for this project?

Regards,

Saurabh

Friday, April 22, 2016 5:58 AM

All replies

• I am not familiar with java script. 

Can I use VBA for Office add-in?

Friday, April 22, 2016 11:07 AM
  • For MAC OS, I would say unfortunately VSTO with C# will not work as I know.

If you are talking about the tradition VB Macro should work.

chanmm

chanmm

Friday, April 22, 2016 12:27 PM
  • You can use VBA in Office for the Mac.  2016 supports it.  However, there are differences and it doesn't support numerous features supported on the PC.  I looked at and decided I couldn't port my addin over.  I also looked at LibreOffice but decided it would be very difficult to use and might leave me with incompatible Office documents.

Javascript isn't that hard to learn.  Office.js has a couple of problems in my opinion.  First, there is no template support.  I always use templates to create all documents.  The templates provide header/footer details plus all required tables and common text.  Second, there is no support for bookmarks.  I use that extensively. Office.js uses the web model so basically you are creating a web interface to Office.  This requires HTML, CSS, Javascript (also JQuery), AJAX and maybe PHP.  All calls to Office.js are asynchronous.  This can be somewhat tedious.  

So in order to support other platforms including tablets, Mac and Chromebook I create a web interface to my app.  The forms basically mirror the forms in my addin.  I used all the web tools - HTML, CSS, Javascript/ JQuery, AJAX and PHP.  I used an Apache server that I run under a user account not system account and I installed Word on the server.  So the user updates all the database info from the webpage and then when he wants a doc he sends an AJAX request to web and the server runs Word.  Word VBA creates the doc, saves it on the server and passes a link back to the doc and a PDF of the same doc.  So far it has worked well but this is a small office environment (15-20 users).

Friday, April 22, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Thanks Mogul for detailed description.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:37 AM