Locked Folder

Question

• Upgraded a Vista computer to Win 8 Dev. It seems to have put my programs in a hiden locked folder called applications, in the Program Files folder. New applications show up in Program Files, as with Vista. Can I run the applicaitons in this folder? How can I access the locked application folder? I tried properties , security tab and change permissions but I get an error.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply. I was not to worried about reinstalling programs, but had some historical data from one of the programs. The was nothing on this computer that could not afford to lose, but just wanted to figure it out. Anyway, it turns out the data was in the windows.old folder and I accessed it from there and will resintall the programs. In case anyone is interested, I was eventually able to unlock the applicaiton folder. I just kept trying to change permisions, and kept getting the error, but eventually it worked.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

• On the WDP download page it says you can only keep accounts, files, and settings. Programs would need to be reinstalled.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I was not to worried about reinstalling programs, but had some historical data from one of the programs. The was nothing on this computer that could not afford to lose, but just wanted to figure it out. Anyway, it turns out the data was in the windows.old folder and I accessed it from there and will resintall the programs. In case anyone is interested, I was eventually able to unlock the applicaiton folder. I just kept trying to change permisions, and kept getting the error, but eventually it worked.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:01 PM