none
Properties window for resources quit working. RRS feed

• Question

• Well-known practice for using the Resource Editor wizard: right click on the resource, and select "Properties". Up comes the properties window, and one can then edit all sorts of things.  Three months ago, I could do that. Now, when I want to make a new resource, I get to the point where I want to change a default, say, IDD_DIALOG1, and I get a properties window with no controls, that is, the client window is totally blank. It just quit working.

I am using .net, version 1.1, MDE 2003, version 7.1, under VISTA Home Basic on an emachines.

What happened, and how can I fix the problem?

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi CADMeister,

I’m glad to see your active participation in MSDN forum! Here’s .NET Framework Setup Forum. I would try my best to solve your issues.

Some clarification with you:

1, When did the issue occur?

2, could you have a screenshot when it occurred?

3, could you support your issue more clarifier? We should understand your issue better and exactly.

Based on your description, it might be occurred when application is just created. I would recommend some suggestions to narrow down this issue. You could follow the following steps.

1, Open ‘Run’

2, type ‘Devenv.exe /Resetsettings’, which could reset the settings to the .vssettings file.

More information about Devenv.exe /Resetsettings, you could refer following link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms241273(v=VS.80).aspx

3, create a new MFC Application in Visual Studio again.

I created a new MFC Application on my machine. It works! Frankly speaking, it might be caused other factors, so I would recommend you support more information about this post. You could certainly open a new thread in Visual C++ MFC. The link is:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads

Look forward to your reply!

Hope this helps you! If you have any doubts and concerns, please feel free to let me know. We are going to follow-up.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi CADMeister,

I’m glad to see your active participation in MSDN forum! Here’s .NET Framework Setup Forum. I would try my best to solve your issues.

Some clarification with you:

1, When did the issue occur?

2, could you have a screenshot when it occurred?

3, could you support your issue more clarifier? We should understand your issue better and exactly.

Based on your description, it might be occurred when application is just created. I would recommend some suggestions to narrow down this issue. You could follow the following steps.

1, Open ‘Run’

2, type ‘Devenv.exe /Resetsettings’, which could reset the settings to the .vssettings file.

More information about Devenv.exe /Resetsettings, you could refer following link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms241273(v=VS.80).aspx

3, create a new MFC Application in Visual Studio again.

I created a new MFC Application on my machine. It works! Frankly speaking, it might be caused other factors, so I would recommend you support more information about this post. You could certainly open a new thread in Visual C++ MFC. The link is:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads

Look forward to your reply!

Hope this helps you! If you have any doubts and concerns, please feel free to let me know. We are going to follow-up.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:14 AM
  • I will try those suggestions.

Also, I have posted the same problem on the Visual C++ General forum, and have received suggestions which didn't work.

In addition, I should say that also the class wizard is also broken. I try to give up on changing the macros such as IDD_DIALOG1, and go to making a class around this resource. Down from the Project menu,I make an MFC class based on CDialog, get to the FINISH, and then get an error : Object required.

If I double click on the title bar of the dialog, same wizard comes up, I do the same thing, this time, no error, but no .h and .cpp pair, either. The issue occurred a couple of days ago.

I saved a screenshot in a .docx file, but I can't discover how to upload it to you. Please tell me how to proceed in furnishing you with a screenshot. This will be from the standard Microsoft sample, HiThere, which displays the same behavior as my own application.

Another related curiosity: In any file folder containing an application, there is a .ncb file. This file is not hidden, not read-only, no nothing. Yet when I do a search for *.ncb in the explorer, with all options enabled, search can't find that file. It finds absolutely all other files- *.cpp, *.h, *.vcproj, *.rc, *.clw, etc. When I do a search for *.ncb files in the entirety of partition C, also none are found. But I see many of them clearly in application folders.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:01 PM
  • I tried Devenv.exe / Resetsettings

and got:

Invalid Command Line. Unknown Switch : Resetsettings.

Usage:

devenv  [solutionfile | projectfile | anyfile.ext]  [switches]

You can invoke devenv with a first argument to specify a solution file or

project file.  You can also invoke devenv with a first argument that is any

other kind of file that you just want to open in an editor.  When you supply a

project file, the IDE opens it in the context of a solution by looking for a

.sln file with the same base name as the project file in the same

directory as the project file.  If no such .sln file exists, then the IDE

looks for a single .sln file that references the project.  If no such single

.sln file exists, then the IDE creates an unsaved solution with a default .sln

file name that has the same base name as the project file.

Command line builds:

devenv solutionfile.sln  /build solutionconfig [ /project projectnameorfile [ /projectconfig name ] ]

Available command line switches:

/build    build the specified solution configuration

/project               specifies the project to build instead of solution

must specify /build to use /project

/projectconfig   specifies project configuration to build

must specify /project to use /projectconfig

/out       write build output to specified file

/rebuild                like /build but forces a clean first

/clean   clean up build outputs

/deploy                build the specified solution configuration and then deploy it

/run       run the specified solution configuration

/runexit               run the specified solution configuration and then terminate

/command          executes the specified internal command line after startup

/mditabs              use tabbed documents interface

/mdi      use MDI interface

/fn          use specified font name

/fs          use specified font size

/LCID     use specified language ID

/noVSIP               disables VSIP developers license key for VSIP testing

/safemode         only default environment and services load for stability

/resetskippkgs  allow VsPackages once flagged for loading failures to

load again

/migratesettings migrate some user settings from another version

Product-specific switches:

/debugexe         Open the specified executable to be debugged. The

remainder of the command line is passed to this

executable as its arguments.

/useenv               Use PATH, INCLUDE, LIBPATH, and LIB environment variables

instead of IDE paths for VC++ builds.

To attach the debugger from the command line, use:

vs7jit.exe -p <pid>

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi CADMeister,

I’m glad to see your reply! Here’s .NET Framework Setup Forum. Your concern is about IDE and Visual C++ MFC, this issue is Off-Topic here. But I would try my best to provider some useful information for you.

About Devenv.exe, you should locate your command path, which is your visual studio installation’s path.

e.g. D:\vs2010\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe  /resetsettings

It works on my machine. I would recommend you try this again on your machine.

About upload your log files or screenshots, you could use skydrive, you could click following link.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive

Or you could send your log files or screenshots to me, my E-mail is: v-xugong@microsoft.com

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CADMeister Friday, July 23, 2010 4:28 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Hi CADMeister,

I'm writing to follow-up this post. Did the above suggesions solve your concerns?

I'm marking this post as Answered, if you have any findings or concerns, please feel free to unmark this post.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:42 AM
  • What is an addon? I don't recall having installed any. How do I find out if I have?

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Hi CADMeister,

Some clarification with you

1, which product would you like to install?

Frankly speaking, if the issue is about .NET Framework Setup, you could open a new thread here.

You could description your issues and concerns more clarifier, I would do my best to help you to solve it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Have a nice weekend!

Larcolais Gong

Friday, July 23, 2010 5:35 AM