Trials and Freebies

General discussion

• Newbie Question. I am familiar with the options for selling Apps. My question is more of what is becoming the "norm" for selling Apps to businesses? Are most of the Apps trial with expiration or limited function? Are they going through the MS Store? Are they selling one version with Paid Ads and an upgrade without Ads?  I know this is a broad question with many individual answers but I'm wondering is you see a trend in today market how people are selling Apps to businesses. Thanks in advance.

FS

Monday, February 16, 2015 8:18 PM

All replies

• I think you should talk to Microsoft via phone for your question
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:44 PM
  • It really depends on what kind of App you do. If you target mainly small companies/single person companies selling your App regularly via the Store is likely to be the best approach. Similarily if you sell big backend systems to enterprises (like for example SAP) it will be best to have a free App in the store and have the user log into the company's server as it makes access to the App a lot easier.

If you do regular LoB Apps that get sold to companies and deployed by them to devices the company would likely have to acquire a company certificate and you'd use that to sign the App on sale with that certificate and hand over the signed XAP so they can deploy it via company sideloading.

So in short:

• If the main value is in the App and it targets small companies/single users - do regular sales via the store.
    • If the main value is in some backend service you sell to companies and the app provides another way to access it - deploy as a free app in the store (you get paid for the server license and perhaps only allow the mobile app to connect to that after the mobile app has been licensed - managed by the server).
    • If the main value is in the App and it targets large companies - license directly to the company and have them deploy via company sideloading.

This of course is only my personal advice based on what I see being done in the store and what is viably possible (e.g. if a big company wants to roll out an App to their users they won't have each employee buy that App from the store on their personal Microsoft Account).

Smaller companies/single users likely won't work that differently from regular consumers. If it's something they'll use a lot they likely won't be to happy with Ads but this doesn't necessarily mean that they'll pay for an upgrade. In general many users mainly browse the free section of the store and therefore won't come across apps that offer a trial option. I don't like it personally but doing a free App with IAP is working better for most people.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any statistics that compares business users to consumers on the WP platform specifically so a lot of what I'm saying is based on overall data mixed with my own assumptions.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:30 PM
  • Oliver, this is the answer I was oping for; a well thought out and opinionated response of your experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It is very much appreciated!! Thank you. 

FS

Saturday, February 21, 2015 5:46 PM
  • Oliver, do you have any guidelines for pricing an App? After building a few Apps it may be easier to judge the market but not having done this before leave me guessing. Any ideas on pricing an Enterprise App would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FS

Saturday, February 21, 2015 5:57 PM