none
Dynamics NAV compressed BLOB format RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

There are compressed BLOB fields in Dynamics NAV 2009. Where can I find specification of this binary format? I need to extract data straight from SQL database.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Alexander -

Thanks for contacting Microsoft support; a support engineer will be in touch to assist further.

Regards.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:36 PM
  • Hello Alexander Kuzin,
    Can you confirm if you are just looking to parse the SQL server data files to extract data from fields of type varbinary(max) ? Or is there an additional requirement beyond that ? specifically is there any parsing you intend to do from Dynamics NAV perspective ? You could send an an e-mail to dochelp at microsoft dot com with a reference to this question so that we can get more clarity on what you are trying to achieve. We can post the final answer here in this forum when we reach resolution.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hello!

Thank you for your answer. I'm connecting to NAV SQL database via OleDbConnection and retrieving some data. And several fields (yes, varbinary(max)) is unreadable (compressed with unknown algorithm). And I'm asking for you to share this algorithm. I sent an email as you suggested and will be waiting for an answer.

Regards,

Alexander Kuzin

Saturday, April 11, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Hello Alexander,
    There is no open specifications document that has the interoperability scope covering Dynamics NAV storage. This is purely a product implementation issue. If you want to access BLOB data with an external tool, you must disable the compression by setting the “compressed” property to “No” in Dynamics NAV.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications
    Monday, April 20, 2015 7:38 PM