ListView, ItemCheck and getting count RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a device app with a ListView control with CheckBoxes set to true.  When the user checks/unchecks an item, I need to perform some steps, then update a control with the count of how many items are checked.  I'm having trouble because the ItemCheck event occurs before the actual value of the checkbox changes, so when I do something like the code below, the count is never correct because I'm trying to update the count before the value actually gets changed.  I tried using the SelectedIndexChange event but that doesn't seem to fire when I check/uncheck the box.  Any suggestions?

Also, when I add an item to the list with the .Checked value = True, the ItemCheck event fires but e.CurrentValue is {0} false for some reason. 

With .lstBarrels

If e.CurrentValue = CheckState.Checked Then

UpdateOutputTables("D", .Items(e.Index).Text)

Else

UpdateOutputTables("I", .Items(e.Index).Text)

End If

End With

Private Function UpdateOutputTables(ByVal InsDelUpd As String, ByVal BarrelID As String) As Boolean

...do some stuff

.txtTotBbls.Text = ListViewCheckedCount(.lstBarrels)

End Function

Public Function ListViewCheckedCount(ByVal theList As ListView) As Integer

Dim LstItem As New ListViewItem

Try

ListViewCheckedCount = 0

With theList

For Each LstItem In theList.Items

If LstItem.Checked = True Then

ListViewCheckedCount = ListViewCheckedCount + 1

End If

Next

End With

Catch ex As Exception

DisplayDeviceErrors(ex, Nothing)

End Try

LstItem = Nothing

End Function
    Monday, March 22, 2010 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi gcresse,

Like you said, in ItemCheck event, its checked status is not change. We can check e.NewValue, if it is "Checked", it show its previous status is "Unchecked". So in your ListViewCheckedCount method, we should add 1 or subtract 1.

>>Also, when I add an item to the list with the .Checked value = True, the ItemCheck event fires but e.CurrentValue is {0} false for some reason. 

Here We also need to check its NewValue, not CurrentValue. If NewValue is checked, it will be checked now.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi gcresse,

Like you said, in ItemCheck event, its checked status is not change. We can check e.NewValue, if it is "Checked", it show its previous status is "Unchecked". So in your ListViewCheckedCount method, we should add 1 or subtract 1.

>>Also, when I add an item to the list with the .Checked value = True, the ItemCheck event fires but e.CurrentValue is {0} false for some reason. 

Here We also need to check its NewValue, not CurrentValue. If NewValue is checked, it will be checked now.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Thanks, the e.NewValue is what I want to check for in the ItemCheck event instead of e.CurrentValue. 

While ItemCheck is still firing, I'm trying to get a count of the checked items and since it hasn't "really" been checked yet, I guess there's no way for the ListViewCheckedCount function to return the correct count.  I think I will have to come up with a different way to get the count.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Hi gcresse,

Like you said, the listview checked count is not correct in ItemCheck method, we have to add or subtract 1 manually.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Monday, March 29, 2010 2:57 AM