none
Wordpress plugin update error

Question

• Hi!

i have a wordpress site (www.restauratievespa.nl) running on a reserved instance. 

When i try to update the wordpress plugins i get the error that wordpress was not able to delete the folder of that plugin.

The only solution for me is to stop the site, manually delete the folder with a ftp client, start the site and then search & install the new version of the plugin with wordpress.

What is the cause of the problem? I think user rights, but i don't know how to solve it.

• Edited by Marco Mansi Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you provide the exact error you receive?

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:47 PM
  • I'm seeing this exact same error. And what's happening is that the plugin is being deleted, even tho Wordpress reports that the file can't be removed. Here's the very lacking error when I use Wordpress: 

Destination folder already exists. C:/DWASFiles/Sites/issmm/VirtualDirectory0/site/wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/

Plugin install failed.

and here's the error when I try to update via FTP. 

Access is denied

Seems like a permissions issue, but I'm not sure how to change permissions within Azure.

~Robin

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Can you provide the exact error you receive?

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

I get this error:

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/google-analytics-for-wordpress.4.2.5.zip
    Unpacking the update…
    Installing the latest version…
    Removing the old version of the plugin…
    Plugin update failed.

An error occurred while updating Google Analytics for WordPress: Could not remove the old plugin..

This happens for all the plugin updates. 

If i go with an ftp client to the plugin folder, i see that the plugin root folder (like /site/wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/google-analytics-for-wordpress) is still present but empty. 

It seems that wordpress is not able to delete the root plugin folder, but the contents is deleted. 

Oh yes, i already said that to be able to install the plugin through wordpress i need to delete that folder with an ftp client. What i forgot to say is that i have to STOP the site to be able to delete the folder. 

This maybe means that some process is locking the plugin folder. 
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Thanks, Marco. You're exactly right. The problem seems to be caused by locking on the plugin folder. I will report this to the product group. I appreciate the report.

To clarify, at this point, you will need to stop the site and remove the folder via an FTP client.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Any updates, Jim? I'm reluctant to try and install the new WP release until this is resolved.

Thanks, 

~Robin

~Robin

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Any updates, Jim? I'm reluctant to try and install the new WP release until this is resolved.

Thanks, 

~Robin

~Robin

Hi Robin,

yesterday i did the update of wordpress and everything went fine. 

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I'll report the issue, but I wouldn't expect a quick response here. During preview, we are working to identify, triage, and fix issues that we find. We typically won't report back status on something for which there's a workaround. However, if I do have news for you, I'll surely report it.

Thanks.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:09 PM
  • I just thought you'd like to know that I am still unable to update plugins, worse, when I try and do an update, the plugin is partially uninstalled. When I try to reinstall, via FTP or Dashboard, I still get the Error -125. HELP! Having to stop my site in order to make an update is unacceptable. With this kind of problem, Azure is simply NOT a platform anyone should use to run a Wordpress site.

There's a WP update, but I'm afraid to try and run it for fear my entire site will crash. Has anyone else had this problem?

~Robin

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Can you possibly give me steps to reproduce the error -125? I am able to successfully deactivate and delete WordPress plug-ins. The only issue I'm aware of here is one where the plug-in's folder can't be deleted and shows a 550 via an FTP client. That is an issue that we're aware of and we will address.

[Edit]

I re-reviewed your original details and it's almost certain that your error is due to the same reason for the 550. This is a problem that we are aware of and we will be fixing it. I don't have any timeline for you at this time.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Jim, it would be great to get an update when a fix will be forthcoming. I hate to have to "turn off" my site to make plugin updates. 

~Robin

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:40 PM
  • The plugin update problem still exists, but I may know of another work-around. I recently experienced this problem updating the Jetpack plugin. I couldn't delete or rename the Jetpack plugin folder until I changed the permissions of the Jetpack plugin folder using FileZilla.  I don't know yet exactly what permission is required, but I gave full read, write, and excute permissions to "owner" on the plugin folder and all sub folders and files. Doing that let me rename the Jetpack plugin folder. 

Now, I haven't confirmed this yet, but I think if I were to have changed the permissions before I updated the plugin, the plugin might have updated successfully the first time. 

If I'm able to determine the exact, minimum necessary permission change required to address the issue, I might consider applying the permission change to the /wp-content/plugins folder. That might prevent this problem from happening ever again. 

Maybe I'll spin  up another WP test site and see if that works. Anyone have any insight here? Is it a bad idea to play with these permissions like I'm doing? 

I'm not a player, I just code a lot...

Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Any update? I have same errors...i cannot delete via ftp client olds folders plugins.

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Any update? I have same errors...i cannot delete via ftp client olds folders plugins.

Changing the folder permissions as I mentioned above does sometimes allow me to delete the folders. Other times, I have to go into manage.windowsazure.com and stop my site before I can delete the folders. 

Also, I can confirm that the idea I had in my previous post did not allow plugins to update themselves properly. I wish Microsoft would fix this. I've got handful of plugins that need to be updated and I don't like having to go through this strange process. 

I'm not a player, I just code a lot.

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:49 PM
  • FileZilla uses chmod to set permissions to 777 in order to make folders fully writable. This is a Unix/Linux command and doesn't work on Windows. Therefore, changing permissions using FileZilla won't do anything for you in Windows Azure Web Sites.

The issue that I was aware of that caused this was resolved last week. Let me run through some tests and see if I can reproduce this again.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:47 AM
  • FileZilla uses chmod to set permissions to 777 in order to make folders fully writable. This is a Unix/Linux command and doesn't work on Windows. Therefore, changing permissions using FileZilla won't do anything for you in Windows Azure Web Sites.

The issue that I was aware of that caused this was resolved last week. Let me run through some tests and see if I can reproduce this again.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thanks for the update! I haven't tried updating any plugins in about a week. Will give it a try sometime today and see what happens. 

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:23 PM
  • I just tested this and I am able to reproduce the issue with an FTP 550 "Access is denied" when trying to delete my plug-in folder after deleting the plug-in. I will follow up with this with the team. It's possible the fix isn't yet pushed to production.

Thanks.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:33 PM
  • I just checked this and the fix hasn't been pushed to production. I don't currently have an ETA on when that will happen.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issues for the last month. Its quite frustrating. I almost don't want to update anything anymore. Please advise if there comes to knowledge of a quick fix or solution. I loved the auto updates when they worked~
    Monday, October 29, 2012 3:24 PM
  • The is any timeline to release the fix in Azure production environment?
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:37 PM
  • The issue that we thought was likely causing this isn't the cause. I am able to reproduce this with the new code in place.

I am in the process of setting up an environment where I can look into this further. I will post back here with my findings. Due to the holiday season in the US, it may be next week before I'll have information.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Just an FYI, I experience a very similar issue with a Drupal install on Azure. The site was installed using Acquia Drupal 7 app in the gallery.

Attempting to do security updates produces various folder/file permission issues. In some cases, if I put the site in maintenance mode before updating, the site can become completely inaccessible. 

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:37 PM
  • I'm having the same problem too. Cant delete / update my plugins in Wordpress. As of 11/23 the problem is still present. This is painful
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:35 AM
  • So I'm a Microsoft partner whom as of last week, never used WordPress.  I always thought this WordPress plugin update issue issue was normal as we've only run it on Azure :) 

However, due to this limitation, we've come up with the operational process to update the plugins.

While were not Wordpress experts, we've seem to isolated the issue to recently "in use" files.

The following process works for our operations team, YMMV.

Step 1 - Deactivate the plugin
    http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php

Step 2 - Go to the Azure management portal, restart your website (could take 15-1 minute to reload).
    https://manage.windowsazure.com/#Workspace/WebsiteExtension/websites

Step 3 - Run the plugin update checker again
    http:/yoursite.com/wp-admin/update-core.php  (took a few minutes to work properly and run the update process)

Step 4 - You can now update the deactivated plugin without issues and then activate the updated plugin.

Hope this helps!  Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by Agile IT - John Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:12 PM
    • Edited by Agile IT - John Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:46 PM added restart website vs start/stop
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:10 PM
  • John,

Your suggestion is good - but only as a temporary work around (many of us have been stopping our sites for updates for a few months). Starting and stopping ones website to do updates is simply not something we as developers can/should live with. Frankly, I'm very disappointed that the Azure team has not found a permanent, appropriate fix for this problem even tho it has been months. I have Wordpress sites running on numerous hosts and NEVER had this come up before.

I can't say I'd recommend to anyone to run Wordpress (or Drupal) on Azure with this bug still open.

~Robin

Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:30 PM
  • We're still highly recommending it for a free service :)  You seem to believe updating plugins it's a deployment blocker (and have posted multiple times your not recommending it).  While I can understand some that feel this as developers whom do multiple updates for testing...with our monthly update process, we simply find it an annoyance.

Whom do you recommend/host your site on BTW if not Azure?

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Here's the update on this issue.

We are aware of what causes this, and we will be fixing it in an upcoming release. No firm dates yet. I know that I said this once before. :) There was a situation that necessitated us pushing out this fix, but rest assured that we have it on our radar.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Has anyone tried updating to WordPress 3.5 yet? I'm afraid to do it until they push out the fix. Jim, do you know enough to tell us whether or not the upgrade will work? In other words, is the issue at hand specific to updating plugins only, or does it affect the entire WordPress installation? 
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:07 PM
  • I haven't tried yet.. not until we get the all clear from Microsoft.

One other note, above someone mentioned that we can't expect too much because this is a free service... we'll I AM paying for the hosting and I had to pay for a second mySQL database - which is ridiculous, but this is what our consultant set us up with. The lack of basic features like more than one database and the inability to handle Wordpress should make folks shy away from Azure until they have their stuff together.

~Robin

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:28 PM
  • The issue at hand is that one of the components on the box is locking files for longer than expected, and that causes you to be unable to delete the plugin folder in WordPress unless you stop the site first to unlock it. We are aware of what causes it, and we will be pushing an update to fix it soon. I don't have a date, but it's not a long-term issue.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Robin,

MySQL is hosted by ClearDB. We do provide you with one free database, but if you need additional MySQL services, you do have to pay for them. There isn't a lack of the ability to have more than one database. It's just one of those things that we can't provide free of charge to everyone.

Regarding WordPress, there is a very specific issue that relates to a lock on a plug-in folder. Your comment regarding an "inability to handle WordPress" makes me think you may be encountering something else. Can you be more specific about the problem you are having?

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi everybody!

Scott Guthrie wrote on his blog that a new Azure version was released this week.

So i thought let's make a try and check if now i'm able to update my wordpress to 3.5 and also the plugins.

After making a backup of my website with the mysql db (using the BackWPup plugin) i did the update of wordpress and the plugins and everything went fine!

So, it seems that the fix is rolled out with the last release! 

Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Bummer. I was hoping Marco's reply meant that everything was working fine now. Unfortunately, my attempt at upgrading the plugins in my WordPress installation failed as usual. Actually, the first plugin I attempted to upgrade worked fine. It wasn't until I told WordPress to bulk update the remaining 15 plugins that things went haywire. Now I'm stuck manually upgrading all of my plugins to get my site back up and running again. 

Jim, were we to assume that the latest Azure update would have fixed this problem? 

Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Not yet. I believe it's due to roll out on the next update. You can check this by looking for the wincache version in phpinfo(). Right now, it's 1.1.0630. The update will deploy 1.3.4 (I believe) and that should resolve this issue.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi Jim, 

I just checked, and wincache is still sitting at 1.1.0630. Any chance you might know when the next update is going to occur? 

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:55 PM
  • We don't have any dates to announce at this time.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:35 PM
  • The wincache 1.3.4 is now used in Windows Azure Web Sites. It has a fix for the WordPress plugin update problem. More details here: http://ruslany.net/2013/03/azure-web-sites-wordpress-plugin-update-bug-fixed/

http://ruslany.net/

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Awesome! I didn't blanket upgrade all of my plugins at once, but they're working one at a time at least! 

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:10 PM
  • What is the number of "Maximum Worker Processes" on your wordpress app pool?

Setting it to 1 might help avoid locks.

Monday, May 27, 2013 10:55 AM
  • I cannot update plugins, on multiple azure websites (as of Nov 24, 2013, and for the last couple months), getting this error:

Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/si-captcha-for-wordpress.zip

Unpacking the update…

Could not copy file. C:/DWASFiles/Sites/mycoolsite/VirtualDirectory0/site/wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/si-captcha-for-wordpress/captcha/backgrounds/1.gif

Plugin update failed.

[the copy failed path seems to always be the first file within the first directory it encounters, like the file you see here has 1.gif through 23.gif]

It furthermore terribly deletes all or most of the contents of the current plugin, which is just really bad. I did not have this problem some months ago. I have tried everything, going back to 3.6 from 3.7 for instance. I have even installed a bran new wordpress site from scratch and immediately tried to update a old plugin, and get the same error. I have changed on the Azure dashpanel version of PHP from 5.3 to 5.5, etc, to no avail.

So has this problem popped up again? What can be done? I would like to stay on Azure, but this kindof problem threatens the stability of a site. Also, oddly, an installation of wordpress on a separate account in Azure (our business', these others were mine personally) for some reason doesn't have this problem, even after upgrading WP to 3.7, etc. 

Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:01 PM
  • I still have the problems updating WP plugins. I'm afraid to upgrade my WP to the latest version.

I have updated my PHP from the original 5.3 to 5.4 and to 5.5 as I found an article with Google telling that it should fix this problem. And I have Started and Stopped the website from Azure Management Portal several times. To no avail.

If I try to update an existing Plugin, I still get 'Could not copy file.' and 'Plugin update failed.' errors. As the result the Plugin is lost (only folder remains), and I have to immediately go and delete the folder with Filezilla and re-install the Plugin or the site will not function the same as before the Plugin update. I do not dare to update my WP to the latest version in fear of losing the whole website.

How can I see that I have WinCache 1.34 in use (my Azure Website is upgraded)?

I don't know what else to do to fix this. Please help.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Nice to see someone else speak about the problem, it's been frustrating that I've got no replies from above! Thanks for being another voice in the wilderness Mr. Varis! Hopefully someone will help us.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Ok, let's hope we get a solution or a workaround to this problem. Our Wordpress project moves on and I'm afraid that I need to rebuild the WP site by the end of the year if we cannot fix the current one in Azure Websites. Hopefully it does not go to that. In that case we would probably move this project site to Bluehost, GoDaddy or one of the many Wordpress hosting companies. Although we would like to stay in Azure as most of our projects are done on Microsoft platforms and it gives the scalability we need. Our Azure subscription status is Azure Trial so we cannot create a technical support ticket on this matter (only billing tickets allowed). 

This is the problem workaround/fix that did not work on our case:

http://blog.syntaxc4.net/post/2013/01/07/fix-for-wordpress-plugin-update-issues-on-windows-azure-web-sites.aspx

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:14 PM
  • I've been struggling with this copy issue on my two azure wordpress sites, and it didn't use to be a problem until around October / November time.  It looks like I may have to try the storing of FTP credentials in the wp-config.php file to avoid the direct file method that is currently in use.

This is the only answer I've found that sounds like it might work, but I really dislike the storage of these credentials.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/windows-azure-installupdate-errors#

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:09 PM
  • I'm still having this problem - can't believe how long its been going on for without a solution.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 9:45 AM
  • So...mooo? Are we going to get this fixed before we have to throw a candle on a cake for this issue? Kind of ridiculous folks.

Monday, February 3, 2014 4:23 AM
  • Hi, all. I'm sorry for the silence on this. This thread was marked "answered" so it fell off the radar. 

I have a few questions so that I can better look into this.

1. As I understand it, even with the site stopped, you're running into this problem. Is that right?

2. This is something that used to happen, was fixed, and then started happening again around the November timeframe?

3. Can someone tell me the name of a specific plug-in that you see this with so that I can try and set up a repro of this?

Thank you.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Monday, February 3, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Hopefully others can give some more specific answers, but here's what I know:

1) Don't know, but this is not the target use case, updating while the site is stopped.

2) I used to be able to update plugins on two sites, then it stopped working, but I can't tell the exact time. Certainly by November 2013, but maybe 1-2 month prior?

3) No need, every plugin fails now (though I have not tested it for a couple months or so). Which has made me think Azure is, unfortunately, not very fitting for WordPress. Damage done. But I still would be thrilled in the future for it to work again, because I like Azure. [Edit: to test, as I had to in the past, I had to save an older (non-updated) plugin, so hopefully you have some of those around to test it with. But watch out, it completely eats your old plugin! A real onerous problem, and one that, particularly due to it killing your old plugin as well, can crash your whole site.]

Monday, February 3, 2014 10:37 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I asked about stopping the site because if that does work, it's an important clue into what might be causing the issue.

I will try to reproduce this.

Thanks.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Monday, February 3, 2014 10:47 PM
  • I just installed an old version of WP Super Cache. Once installed, I was informed that an update was available. I clicked the link to update the plugin and it installed without a problem. 

Anyone else have any more information that might help me to reproduce this?

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Monday, February 3, 2014 11:10 PM
  • Okay, I just ran an update on 1 of hte 8 plugins that are out of date (I haven't been updating any).

Same result:

The update process is starting. This process may take a while on some hosts, so please be patient.

Updating Plugin TinyMCE Advanced (1/1)

Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/tinymce-advanced.3.5.9.1.zip
    Unpacking the update…
    Plugin update failed.

An error occurred while updating TinyMCE Advanced: Could not copy file. C:/DWASFiles/Sites/.../VirtualDirectory0/site/wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/tinymce-advanced/css/tadv-styles.css

All updates have been completed.

Monday, February 3, 2014 11:25 PM
  • As for further diagnosing, please see my earlier post with regard to versions:

I cannot update plugins, on multiple azure websites (as of Nov 24, 2013, and for the last couple months),... I did not have this problem some months ago. I have tried everything, going back to 3.6 from 3.7 for instance. [[of Azure website runtime versions, whatever its called]] I have even installed a bran new wordpress site from scratch and immediately tried to update a old plugin, and get the same error. I have changed on the Azure dashpanel version of PHP from 5.3 to 5.5, etc, to no avail.

Monday, February 3, 2014 11:30 PM
  • Thanks. I still cannot reproduce this, so what I'll do is run it by the team to see if I can get more information. Hang tight and I'll check back in once I do that.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:28 PM
  • I was able to get more info on this and I was able to reproduce it in the North Central region. We have identified the cause of this and we are in the process of rolling out a fix. It should be fixed in all regions very soon.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Woo hoo! Can you share what you found? Another wincache bug? 
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:21 PM
  • We found the cause and made some changes to mitigate it. Unfortunately, that's all I'm authorized to tell you.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:28 PM
  • We found the cause and made some changes to mitigate it. Unfortunately, that's all I'm authorized to tell you.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

We are experiencing the same issues reported here on an Azure WP site in East US.  We've tried numerous things to get plugins to update but all fail.  What options do we have here other than completely moving it off Azure?

Jeff Taynton

Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Well, I hate to tell you, over two years later after this was originally reported... it's STILL happening! I'm seeing that the plugin IS actually deleted on my site, though it throws an error that it wasn't.. so it has to be re-installed.

This happened for theme updates as well, luckily it was just the default themes so it didn't affect anything when they were deleted.

As a silver partner trying to sell Azure hosting to my clients, I fear what would happen when an end user who doesn't know any better hits the update button and blows everything away... 

DG

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:17 AM
  • I'm getting this right now on all 3 WordPress installations I have for 3 different clients. My hostmonster instance of WordPress I've had for 5 years? Never had an issue. This really needs to be fixed yesterday.

The update process is starting. This process may take a while on some hosts, so please be patient.

Updating Theme Twenty Twelve (1/1)

Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/theme/twentytwelve.1.7.zip
    Unpacking the update…
    Removing the old version of the theme…
    Theme update failed.

An error occurred while updating Twenty Twelve: Could not copy file. D:/home/site/wwwroot/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve/404.php

Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:41 AM
  • Derek, have you come across a solution yet? Sadly one of the plugins I tried to update for my client was the contact form, so now the site is sitting there like this cause I can't update ANYTHING right now:

http://stylebar.ca/contact-us/

Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:46 AM
  • I decided to do a sanity test and make sure this for sure wasn't me. I spun up a brand new installation of WordPress, then uploaded an out of date version of the twentytwelve theme and updated it. Same issue as above.

So then, I decided that I would CHMOD 777 the entire wp-content directory on the new WordPress installation (AFTER re-adding the twentytwelve theme to make sure it was CHMOD 777 as well). Same error still.

Has anyone found any workarounds? Can someone from Microsoft give us an ETA on when this will be fixed?

Sunday, April 26, 2015 9:48 PM
  • This definitely started happening again recently. If you look above, I was part of the original conversation wherein wincache was out of date, then was fixed. It's been working fine up until recently when I noticed plugin upgrades failing. 

Monday, April 27, 2015 12:24 AM
  • Yes, I am experiencing this issue too.

Update: Managed to fix it - switch to PHP 5.5 and it should work just fine.

Monday, April 27, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Gave this a try myself. Changed to PHP 5.5, stopped site, restarted site, still getting the same issue.

Tried changing to PHP 5.6. Stopped site, restarted site, still getting the same issue.

Tried again, set PHP to 5.5, restarted the site, waited 10 minutes, refreshed the page, tried again, same issue.

I'll repeat, this testing is being done on a brand new WordPress instance I've been using just to test this update issue.

Can someone from Microsoft comment on this?

Monday, April 27, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Still waiting on some reply regarding this. I need this for a release on two websites for clients I've made and the absence of a contact form (since I can't install anything right now) is holding this up. Please please please can someone help me with this, or at least give an estimated date on when a fix will be coming so I can plan accordingly?
    Monday, April 27, 2015 6:31 PM
  • The only "workaround" I have found is to install the plugins again after the update bombs... What I've seen is that the update reports failure on the removal stage of the old version, however it really is successful, and the plugin is uninstalled. I then went to "add new" under plugins and installing it again, the caveat is that the plugins I did this for didn't have any major settings so I'm unsure if a complex plugin would need to be reconfigured or it the settings remain.

DG

Monday, April 27, 2015 6:54 PM
  • This definitely started happening again recently. If you look above, I was part of the original conversation wherein wincache was out of date, then was fixed. It's been working fine up until recently when I noticed plugin upgrades failing. 

Yes, it's cropped up in the last few weeks. I installed a new WP dev environment about 3 maybe 4 weeks ago and had no issues doing a bunch of updates when I restored the old backup. I only noticed this problem when I tried to do updates in the last week. :(

DG

Monday, April 27, 2015 6:56 PM
  • I turned on PHP debugging to see if more info on the error might shine some light:

Updating Theme Twenty Twelve (1/1)

Downloading update from https://downloads.wordpress.org/theme/twentytwelve.1.7.zip
    Unpacking the update…
    Removing the old version of the theme…
    Warning: copy(D:/home/site/wwwroot/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve/404.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\home\site\wwwroot\wp-admin\includes\class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 231 Warning: copy(D:/home/site/wwwroot/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve/404.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\home\site\wwwroot\wp-admin\includes\class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 231 Theme update failed.

An error occurred while updating Twenty Twelve: Could not copy file. D:/home/site/wwwroot/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve/404.php

All updates have been completed.

Anyone know why the stream isn't opening?

Monday, April 27, 2015 9:14 PM
  • The same is happening for me as well.  I cannot install plugins, let alone update them.

• WP 4.2.1 (Clean Install)
    • PHP 5.6

Ryan Logan accurIT Consulting

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:12 AM
  • Does anyone know that's taking part in this discussion a better way to get in touch with Microsoft?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:03 AM
  • I'd assume the only way to guarantee a response is opening a service request. I may do that eventually, it's not urgent for me, as I'm only running a dev environment at the moment.

DG

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Where can I open a ticket to do that? I'm not currently paying for support.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:08 AM
  • There's the rub, forums are the only free options, direct support is fee based... http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/plans/

DG

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:15 AM
  • That's what I figured, though seeing as this looks like a Microsoft issue, it would be nice if they responded to it on the forums.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:38 AM
  • I had a situation where Web Apps would not install at all.  Microsoft wanted me to use a support incident from my MS Partnership and/or Action Pack Subscription.  I told them there is no way I'm doing that when it's clearly a Microsoft issue.

Long story short, if you contact support (it will be a pain in the a$$) and raise enough stink, they will eventually say that if they do indeed find it to be their issue...you will not be "charged".

In the end, I just waited it out and eventually I was able to install Web Apps.  If I needed Azure for WP production, I would probably start that process all over again myself.

Ryan Logan accurIT Consulting

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:46 AM
  • Just for your information,

I was having this issue as well (started happening about a week ago), recovering plugins from backup and testing out different solutions, none had worked and I was reluctant to update the core until I was able to get it fixed.

Well after the security warning from WordPress about a vulnerability I decided to go ahead with the update and now the Web App is running WordPress 4.2.1 and after trying updating a plugin it was finally successful.

So I'm back in business.

Cheers

Renato Coto
    www.TecnoLogi.ca

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Renato. I gave this a try on my fresh WordPress installation and still getting an error when I update the theme. I don't know what else to do with this problem other than move my websites on to another server. All I would really like from Microsoft is some acknowledgement the issue is being looked into and when we might expect an answer. This is incredibly frustrating.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Decided to cough up and pay for support, I would highly recommend anyone considering paying for it not to do it. The person told me to "just reinstall my themes and plugins" which I explained clearly that the reason I didn't want to do this was I didn't want to lose my changes. It's not been a week and they haven't replied back after 5 e-mails.

Potential fix for this solution right now appears to be moving to another cloud hosting system. I'll post here again if the situation changes. Extremely disappointed in how all this has been handled.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:27 AM
  • Hi,BranigansLaw2123243. I'm sorry that you had that experience. This is certainly not up to our standards when you open a support ticket or when you engage with us in our forums. We are actually engaged right now looking into this to try and figure out what's going on so that we can get it resolved.

If you can send me your case number (send to jamesche at Microsoft dot com), I can look into what's going on with your case specifically. In the meantime, if anyone else has an issue with this, it would be great if you can open a new thread. The issue in this thread was a specific bug that was fixed back in 2012.

Thanks!

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:55 PM
  • If you're seeing this issue, please disable wincache reroute using the following line in your .user.ini file:

wincache.reroute_enabled=0

If you don't have a .user.ini in the wwwroot of your site, you'll need to add it. (Note that the file name has a dot in front of it!)

After doing this, please stop your site, start your site and then try to update again. Let me know!

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Thank you Jim,

I was experiencing this problem and implemented the wincache.reroute_enabled=0 suggestion.

All seems to be working normally now,  thanks for monitoring this forum and the recommendation :)   

Gavin Halse |   Eigasoft AG

Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:21 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation, Gavin. FYI, we consider this to be a workaround for the issue as we troubleshoot further for a more permanent fix. In the meantime, there won't be any negative impact to doing this on a WordPress site.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:42 PM
  • I am running WordPress 4.2.1 on PHP 5.4 (Not sure if I should update to 5.5 or 5.6). I have never had this problem until today. I have wasted hours messing about trying to get this working until I stumbled across this post.

I have tried the workaround from Jim Cheshire but can confirm that it is not working for me at all. I would advise everyone here to make full use of Azure backups and I even go as far as creating a dummy WordPress site on Azure that I can test updates on as it's all very flaky.

Jim, I have an MSDN ultimate account, where can I raise this issue or could you do that for us all? It seems this issue has existed since 2012, although I have only suffered from it today.

Rehan Saeed

Saturday, May 9, 2015 12:10 PM
  • Rehan, 

The issue that was going on in 2012 has been fixed. It had a completely different cause than the problem caused by wincache reroute. The current problem that people are reporting and that I was able to reproduce is absolutely caused by wincache reroute and disabling that resolves the issue. I would encourage you to create a phpinfo() page and ensure that you have disabled this feature. 

The deletion of content when an update fails is actually a bug in WordPress code. WordPress does not stop the upgrade process if an exception occurs, so it continues on and deletes the existing theme. 

If you confirm that wincache reroute is disabled in your case (confirmed via phpinfo()) and you are still having a problem, please open new thread for your issue here. 

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Saturday, May 9, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Thanks Jim, it was turned off. For anyone who needs to know how to create a phpinfo.php file look here. So now updating plug-ins works, now I just need to find out why I can't update to WordPress 4.2.2. During the update it keeps going round in circles between the two screens below:

Database Update Required

WordPress has been updated! Before we send you on your way, we have to update your database to the newest version.

The update process may take a little while, so please be patient.

Update Complete

Your WordPress database has been successfully updated!

Rehan Saeed

Saturday, May 9, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response. I tried submitting the ticket again and got a much more responsive support staff. They also passed on the .user.ini fix which I've applied and all my sites are updating now.

Saturday, May 9, 2015 5:19 PM